A's batter Rangers, AL West race deadlockedSep 5, 2013 - 1:16 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - There is a tie atop the American League West.
Josh Donaldson and Daric Barton homered during a six-run sixth inning and the Oakland Athletics pulled even with Texas for first place in the division after an 11-4 win over the Rangers on Wednesday.
The A's took the three-game series 2-1 to match the Rangers with an 80-59 record in the two-horse AL West race.
"I'm not disappointed. We're still in first place," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "They won the series from us. That's it. Today was the better day for them."
Oakland righty Jarrod Parker (11-6) remained unbeaten since May 22 to set a franchise record, going six innings and giving up two runs, five hits and no walks with four strikeouts.
Parker is 9-0 in 18 starts since his last loss -- besting Catfish Hunter's 17- game unbeaten streak from June 2-Sept. 3, 1973, the previous A's record.
Donaldson hit a three-run homer and Barton had a two-run blast -- two of Oakland's four home runs. Brandon Moss and Coco Crisp added two-run homers.
Oakland's sixth-run sixth made it 9-2 -- all the runs came with no outs.
Barton's blast knocked Texas starter Yu Darvish out of the game and Robbie Ross gave up the other four runs on Crisp's RBI single and Donaldson's three- run shot.
Darvish (12-7) surrendered five runs, five hits and six walks in his five-plus innings.
The Rangers have lost each of Darvish's last four starts, including his previous outing Friday night, when the right-hander lost a no-hitter in the seventh inning against the Twins.
The A's are 3-0 this season against Darvish -- something Oakland manager Bob Melvin attributes to his team's knack for jumping on one of the best pitchers in baseball.
"The key is to get him out of sync early in games, and we've been able to do that," said Melvin.
Joey Butler hit an RBI single in the seventh for the Rangers, but Crisp's homer in the eighth made it 11-3 A's. Geovany Soto homered in the ninth for Texas.
Earlier, Moss hit a two-run homer off Darvish in the first inning and Crisp had a sacrifice fly in the second to make it 3-0. Leonys Martin's RBI double and Craig Gentry's RBI single in the third got the Rangers on the board.
The A's are 12-6 in Parker's last 18 starts ... Darvish had four strikeouts to raise his MLB-leading total to 240 ... The A's are 4-1 on a 10-game homestand that ends with four against Houston starting Thursday ...The Rangers visit Anaheim to play the Angels for three games this weekend.
- TEXAS: 4
Sep 4 7:00 PM
- Geovany Soto lead-off Home Run (7) to left center. Jeff Baker due up.
Rangers 4, Athletics 11 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 4 6:48 PM
- Coco Crisp none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Stephen Vogt. Josh Donaldson due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 11 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 4 6:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joey Butler singled to right scoring Jeff Baker with none out. On the play, Jurickson Profar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Leonys Martin due up.
Rangers 3, Athletics 9 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 4 6:03 PM
- Josh Donaldson none-out, three-run Home Run (20) to left scored Stephen Vogt and Coco Crisp. Jed Lowrie due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 9 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 4 5:49 PM
- Coco Crisp singled to center scoring Eric Sogard with none out. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Donaldson due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 4 5:48 PM
- Daric Barton none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Alberto Callaspo. Eric Sogard due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 4 5:38 PM
- Craig Gentry singled to right scoring Leonys Martin with one out. Runner on first and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 2, Athletics 3 Top 3, 1 OutSep 4 4:29 PM
- Leonys Martin doubled to right scoring Jim Adduci with one out. Runner on second and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 3 Top 3, 1 OutSep 4 4:26 PM
- Coco Crisp sacrifice fly to right scored Daric Barton with two out. Runner on first and Josh Donaldson due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 4 4:15 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to right center scored Jed Lowrie. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 4 3:53 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 3:38 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22