Williams pitches Angels past RaysSep 6, 2013 - 7:26 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jerome Williams struck out seven in 6 1/3 innings and all nine batters in the lineup recorded at least one hit as the LA Angels of Anaheim took the finale of a four-game set from the Tampa Bay Rays, 6-2.
Williams (6-10) allowed both runs on six hits while walking a pair to earn his first victory since June 12. The Angels have won 10 of their last 13 overall.
"I felt good," said Williams. "I just tried to put up zeros and give us a chance to win. I just went out there and did my job."
Josh Hamilton and Luis Jimenez each clubbed a pair of hits and scored twice while Collin Cowgill drove in three in the win.
David Price (8-7), who had given up just one run in his last 23 innings against the Angels, was reached for six runs on 11 hits over seven innings.
"He (Price) made some bad pitches at the wrong times," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "We're trying way too hard to make it happen. Sometimes you have to relax and go play the game."
Price pitched out of a jam in the first inning after putting runners on the corners with no outs, but failed to keep LA off the board in the second. Singles by Hamilton, Jimenez and Grant Green loaded the bases for Cowgill, who cleared the bags with a double to the wall in left-center.
"Any time you hit a baseball and don't feel it in your hands, you know you hit it pretty good," said Cowgill. "I'm glad I got a big hit but I wasn't the only guy."
Tampa Bay got two back in the third on James Loney's RBI-double to right, plating David DeJesus and Ben Zobrist.
The Angels pushed three more runs across in the bottom of the third to take a 6-2 lead. Mark Trumbo began the surge with a double to left-center, and Hamilton followed with an RBI-single to center. Jimenez doubled Hamilton to third and Kole Calhoun scored him with a single to right before Green grounded into a fielder's choice, allowing Jimenez to score.
Williams put two on in the fourth but got Matt Joyce to pop out to third and Loney ended the inning by grounding into a fielder's choice.
Buddy Boshers, Michael Kohn and Ernesto Frieri combined for 2 2/3 hitless innings of relief.
Prior to the game, former Angel Bobby Knoop was inducted into the Angels Hall of Fame ... LA has taken four of seven from Tampa Bay this season ... Angels outfielder Mike Trout has now walked 37 times in his last 35 games, best in the majors over that span ... Zobrist had two of Tampa's six hits.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 6 1:17 AM
- Grant Green grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Luis Jimenez with two out. Kole Calhoun out at second. Runner on first and Collin Cowgill due up.
Rays 2, Angels 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 5 11:50 PM
- Kole Calhoun single to right scored Josh Hamilton with one out. On the play, Luis Jimenez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Grant Green due up.
Rays 2, Angels 5 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 5 11:49 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to center scored Mark Trumbo with one out. Runner on first and Luis Jimenez due up.
Rays 2, Angels 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 5 11:44 PM
- James Loney double to right scored David DeJesus and Ben Zobrist with two out. Runner on second and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 2, Angels 3 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 5 11:32 PM
- Collin Cowgill double to left scored Josh Hamilton, Luis Jimenez and Grant Green with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Rays 0, Angels 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 5 11:17 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 10:29 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22