Sierra leads Jays past TwinsSep 7, 2013 - 6:46 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Moises Sierra's two-run double helped the Toronto Blue Jays take a 6-5 win over the Minnesota Twins to open a three-game series on Friday.
Brett Lawrie drove in a pair of runs while Jose Reyes scored twice and added an RBI for the Blue Jays, who have won three of four and six of eight.
R.A. Dickey (12-12) won his third straight start as he gave up three runs on seven hits with a walk and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
"I feel like I've gotten stronger as the year has gone on. I feel like I've been able to carry my workload just fine," Dickey said. "I've got four more starts left, and hopefully I'll be able to log a lot more innings."
Chris Colabello hit a two-run home run and finished with three RBI and Josmil Pinto added a solo homer in the ninth for the Twins, who have dropped their past two games.
Mike Pelfrey (5-11) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on six hits and two walks along with seven strikeouts over six innings of work.
The Blue Jays jumped on top in the first inning thanks to a sac fly from Edwin Encarnacion, but the Twins tied the game in the second thanks to an RBI single from Colabello.
Toronto, though, went on top for good with five runs in the third. With men on the corners, Reyes knocked one in with a single. Two batters later, Encarnacion walked to load the bases. Lawrie hit a two-run single, while Sierra followed with a two-run double for a 6-1 lead.
"I thought my stuff was good, but I didn't make enough quality pitches in the third inning and they kicked my butt. I guess you tip your cap, because I went out there and gave it everything I have and they beat me. But that third inning can't happen and ended up being the ballgame," said Pelfrey.
Colabello's two-run homer in the seventh cut the lead to 6-3, and Trevor Plouffe made it a two-run game with his RBI single in the eighth.
Casey Janssen came on in the ninth to close the game and promptly served up a pitch to Pinto that he drove out of the park for his first career homer. After Chris Herrmann popped out, Alex Presley reached base on Adam Lind's error. Janssen, though, picked up his 28th save of the season as Ryan Doumit struck out swinging and Josh Thole nailed Presley trying to steal second to end the game.
Toronto took two of three from Minnesota in Toronto back in early July ... Minnesota was 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base ... Toronto went 4-for-11 with RISP and stranded three ... Dickey moved to 2-2 in nine games against the Twins.
- TORONTO: 6
Sep 6 11:04 PM
- Josmil Pinto lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Pedro Florimon due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 6 10:55 PM
- Trevor Plouffe singled to center scored Brian Dozier. Runner on first with two outs and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 6 10:36 PM
- Chris Colabello none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scores Oswaldo Arcia. Josmil Pinto due up.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 6 10:13 PM
- Moises Sierra doubles to right scores Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie with two outs. On the play, Moises Sierra tagged out at third right to second to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 6, Twins 1 Mid 3Sep 6 9:04 PM
- Brett Lawrie singles to center scores Josh Thole and Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second. Runners on first and second and Moises Sierra due up.
Blue Jays 4, Twins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 6 9:01 PM
- Jose Reyes singles to left scores Anthony Gose with none out. On the play, Josh Thole advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 6 8:48 PM
- Chris Colabello singles to right scores Trevor Plouffe with one out. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josmil Pinto due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 6 8:40 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion sacrifice fly out to left scores Jose Reyes with two out. None on and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 6 8:16 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 8:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21