Trumbo's blast helps Angels edge RangersSep 7, 2013 - 5:42 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo's three-run homer capped a five-run fourth and sent the Angels in front for good, lifting Los Angeles to a 6-5 victory over the Texas Rangers in the opener of a three-game set.
Ernesto Frieri gave up a run in the ninth, but was able to keep the lead intact and recorded his 31st save of the season, preserving the win for C.J. Wilson.
Wilson (15-6) won his sixth straight decision despite allowing four runs on seven hits and three walks over 6 2/3 innings. Mike Trout had three hits with an RBI and Erick Aybar scored twice for the Angels, who have won seven of their last nine.
Texas, meanwhile, has dropped five of seven and fell one-half game back of the Oakland A's for the lead in the AL West.
Matt Garza (3-3) was torched for six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits over seven innings of work. Elvis Andrus and Alex Rios both homered and drove in a pair of runs in the setback.
"I threw a lot of strikes and got ahead of most hitters, I made one bad pitch," said Garza. I left one over the plate and Trumbo knew what to do with it."
Texas had a three-run cushion after three innings, but the Angels erupted with a five-run fourth to take the lead.
Los Angeles strung together three straight singles to begin the frame, with Trout's knocking in a run. Runners were at the corners after a Josh Hamilton fielder's choice and Kole Calhoun brought in a run with a base hit into left. Trumbo then sent the Halos in front, 5-3, with his 30th home run of the season.
"It was good to see him square one up," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia about Trumbo's homer.
Trout followed an Aybar double in the fifth with a base hit to move the Angels' lead to 6-3, but the Rangers got the run back in the seventh, when Andrus chased Wilson with his homer to deep center.
Frieri recorded the first two outs of the ninth before serving up a double to Leonys Martin. Andrus then singled him in to make it 6-5, but Frieri ended the game by striking out Ian Kinsler.
Rios' homer in the second gave Texas a 1-0 edge and it tacked on two more runs in the third, when A.J. Pierzynski and Rios stroked consecutive run-scoring singles.
Trumbo is the sixth Angel to hit 30 home runs in the back-to-back seasons ... The Angels were 4-for-6 with runners in scoring position ... Texas had a seven-game winning streak against Los Angeles snapped ... It was just the Angels' third win in 13 games against the Rangers this season.
- TEXAS: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 7 1:01 AM
- Elvis Andrus single to left scored Leonys Martin. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Angels 6 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 7 12:55 AM
- Elvis Andrus two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 6 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 7 12:18 AM
- Mike Trout singled to second. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third and scored on Ian Kinsler's throwing error. Runner on first with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 6 11:48 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, three-run Home Run (30) to left center scored Josh Hamilton and Kole Calhoun. Hank Conger due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 6 11:23 PM
- Kole Calhoun single to left scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 6 11:22 PM
- Mike Trout single to left scored J.B. Shuck. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 6 11:18 PM
- Alex Rios single to right scored Adrian Beltre. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jeff Baker due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 6 10:55 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to left scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 6 10:52 PM
- Alex Rios one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left center. Jeff Baker due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 6 10:27 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 6 10:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22