Cabrera homers as Indians down MetsSep 8, 2013 - 4:55 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Asdrubal Cabrera hit a three-run home run and Ryan Raburn added a three-run double as the Cleveland Indians took a 9-4 win over the New York Mets in the second of a three-game set.
The win moved the Indians to just one game back of Tampa Bay for the final wild card spot in the American League as the Rays lost to the Mariners on Saturday.
Nick Swisher hit a solo home run and drove in two, while Corey Kluber (8-5) gave up two runs on five hits with a walk and five strikeouts over five-plus innings for the Indians, who have won four straight.
"We just have to keep winning man, that's it," said Swisher. "We've got 22 or 21 games going into tomorrow and this is the push. It's been a while since this team has had this opportunity and we're going to do our best to take advantage of it."
Justin Turner hit a two-run double and scored twice for the Mets, who have lost five of six. Jon Niese (6-7) got the loss for surrendering six runs -- five earned on nine hits in six innings.
"Everything was kind of flat today," said Niese. "My fastball wasn't any good at first. When I got my cutter working I was able to find my fastball."
The Indians sent nine men to the plate in the first inning to take command of the game.
Michael Bourn led off with a single, stole second and scored on Swisher's double. After a sac bunt from Jason Kipnis, Carols Santana plated Swisher with a single to right. Yan Gomes followed with a single to load the bases and Raburn cleared the bags with a double to right for a 5-0 lead.
The Mets got one back in the second as Turner singled, moved to second on a groundout by Juan Lagares, then scored on Matt den Dekker's single to center.
Cleveland, though, got it back in the second on Swisher's 17th home run of the season.
New York got back in the game in the sixth inning. After Eric Young led off with a walk, Rich Hill took the mound and struck out the next two batters, but then walked Lucas Duda.
Vinnie Pestano replaced hill and promptly served up a double to Turner that plated both runners. Lagares followed with an RBI single to make it a 6-4 game.
However, the Indians got the three runs back in the seventh as Swisher and Gomes walked and Cabrera hit his 10th home run of the season for a 9-4 lead.
Cleveland had 11 hits in the game while New York had eight ... The last time these teams met was in 2010 when the Mets swept a three-game set in Cleveland.
- NEW YORK: 4
Sep 7 9:03 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to right scored Jason Kipnis and Yan Gomes. Matt Carson due up.
Mets 4, Indians 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 7 8:38 PM
- Juan Lagares single to right scored Justin Turner with two out. Runner on first and Matt den Dekker due up.
Mets 4, Indians 6 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 7 7:58 PM
- Justin Turner double to center scored Eric Young and Lucas Duda with two out. Runner on second and Juan Lagares due up.
Mets 3, Indians 6 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 7 7:56 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Jason Kipnis due up.
Mets 1, Indians 6 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 7 6:50 PM
- Matt den Dekker single to center scored Justin Turner with two out. Runner on second and Travis d`Arnaud due up.
Mets 1, Indians 5 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 7 6:43 PM
- Ryan Raburn double to right scored Jason Kipnis, Carlos Santana and Yan Gomes with one out. Runner on second and Mike Aviles due up.
Mets 0, Indians 5 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 7 6:29 PM
- Carlos Santana single to right scored Nick Swisher with none out. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yan Gomes due up.
Mets 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 7 6:24 PM
- Nick Swisher double to left scored Michael Bourn with none out. Runner on second and Jason Kipnis due up.
Mets 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 7 6:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 6:07 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21