Red Sox put up double digits once more, beat Yankees againSep 7, 2013 - 11:43 PM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Jonny Gomes finished 3-for-4 with a three-run blast and four RBI as the Boston Red Sox outlasted the New York Yankees, 13-9, in the third edition of a four-game series.
Mike Napoli went deep twice and knocked in three runs for the Red Sox, while rookie Xander Bogaerts clubbed his first MLB homer among his two hits and three RBI.
Boston has taken 10 of 15 from the Yanks this season, including seven of nine at Yankee Stadium. The AL East leaders have racked up 34 runs thus far in this set, having increased their output in each successive contest.
Backed by that prolific offense, John Lackey (9-12) picked up the win despite allowing eight hits and seven runs over 5 2/3 innings.
"Yeah, the boys picked me up today. They swung the bats great. They've swung the bats great the whole series," Lackey said. "It's fun to watch when they get on a roll like that."
Brett Gardner collected two hits, two RBI and scored three times for the Yankees, who fell 11 games behind their bitter foes. Mark Reynolds hit a two- run double, while Ichiro Suzuki, Lyle Overbay, Alfonso Soriano and Robinson Cano knocked in a run each.
Despite Saturday's attempted comeback from a 10-2 deficit, New York became the first club in AL history to score eight-or-more runs in three straight home games and lose each one.
In his first start of 2013, David Huff (2-1) was torched in defeat for eight hits and nine runs over 3 1/3 frames.
"It was terrible. To come off what I've been doing here and to have that happen today, it was just embarrassing," said Huff, who only surrendered two earned runs over 16 innings previously as a reliever.
The Red Sox broke the game open in the fourth. Will Middlebrooks and Jackie Bradley, Jr. singled and a Ryan Lavarnway double plated one for a 6-2 score, then a Bogaerts groundout RBI and run-scoring double by Shane Victorino pushed the advantage to six and chased Huff from the contest.
Jim Miller entered and immediately gave up an RBI hit to Gomes, and after Dustin Pedroia doubled, a fly to center from David Ortiz brought in Gomes to make it 10-2.
"We wanted to try to get a lead," said Napoli, who went deep twice. "We really haven't scored runs for Lackey, so it was nice to get a couple runs early for him and let him settle in."
Suzuki doubled home Eduardo Nunez in the bottom of the frame, then Bogaerts smacked his first career homer, a two-run shot with Bradley aboard and two down in the fifth for a 12-3 contest.
"Good to get it out of the way as quick as possible, just like the first hit," said Bogaerts. "It's good to always get those as quickly as possible."
Lackey was chased in the bottom of the sixth, after Gardner doubled in two and Derek Jeter followed with an RBI single which reduced New York's deficit to 12-6. Matt Thornton gave up a two-out hit to Soriano to bring in pinch-runner Reynolds to get the Yanks within five.
In the home eighth, J.R. Murphy singled and advanced on a passed ball, then Gardner walked and Reynolds plated both with a double to left and the hosts trailed only 12-9.
Napoli's second homer of the contest flew out to left center with one out in the ninth and boosted Boston to a four-run edge, and the madness ended in the bottom of the inning as Junichi Tazawa and Craig Breslow combined to hold the Bombers scoreless.
"We have to turn it around," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "The bottom line is we have to pitch better, because we are scoring some runs. We have to figure out how to get them out."
The Red Sox hit the scoreboard first, when Ortiz doubled to kick off the second and Napoli reached the seats in left for a 2-0 game.
New York picked up a run in the home half as Soriano worked a leadoff walk, was sacrificed to second and scored on Overbay's two-out base hit.
Boston picked up three more in the following frame. Bogaerts hit a leadoff double, Victorino was hit by a pitch and Gomes drilled a ball deep to left which provided a 5-1 margin. Suzuki then prevented an extra-base hit by making a leaping grab of an Ortiz drive at the wall in right.
The Yanks struck back in the home portion, as Cano singled home Gardner, who singled to start and advanced on a Lackey wild pitch.
Boston has won three in a row in the Bronx for the first time since taking six straight from May 13-June 9, 2011 ... Napoli, who now has 13 games of at least two home runs, posted his last multi-homer performance against the Yankees, in an 8-7 win at Fenway Park on July 21 ... Prior to the contest, the Red Sox recalled Bradley from Triple-A Pawtucket ... Jeter departed the game late due to an undisclosed injury to his left ankle, finishing 1-for-4 .The Yankees captain underwent a CT scan following the game which turned up no signs of damage ... Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was rested on Saturday ... According to a Boston newspaper, Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury left the club and returned to the Hub with his right foot in a walking boot, in order to further evaluate an injury to the navicular bone which has kept him out of the lineup since Thursday.
- KingHockeyMan The BOSOX own the NYYankees this year & this series. 3 -0 so far w/1 more game tomorrow @ 1:05PM. The BOSOX have not had a real reg-season "slump". I hope Murphy's Law does NOT rear his fugly head in the BOSOX playoff run. I know Murphy very well. I sent him to Fiji where the woman there will keep his fugly ass in check.....lol. PEACE!
Red Sox 13, Yankees 9 FinalSep 7 4:55 PM
- BOSTON: 13
NEW YORK: 9
Sep 7 4:40 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, solo Home Run 2 (21) to left. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 13, Yankees 9 Top 9, 1 OutSep 7 4:18 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to left scoring J.R. Murphy and Brett Gardner. Runner on second with none out and Robinson Cano due up.
Red Sox 12, Yankees 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 7 4:01 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to left scoring Mark Reynolds. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Red Sox 12, Yankees 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 3:30 PM
- Derek Jeter singled to center scoring Brett Gardner. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Red Sox 12, Yankees 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 3:23 PM
- Brett Gardner doubled to left scoring Eduardo Nunez and J.R. Murphy. Runner on second with two outs and Derek Jeter due up.
Red Sox 12, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 3:22 PM
- Xander Bogaerts two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Jackie Bradley Jr. Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 12, Yankees 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 7 2:49 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki doubled to right scoring Eduardo Nunez. Runner on second with one out and Austin Romine due up.
Red Sox 10, Yankees 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 7 2:35 PM
- David Ortiz sacrifice fly out to center scored Jonny Gomes. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 10, Yankees 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 7 2:25 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to center scoring Shane Victorino. Runner on first with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 9, Yankees 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 7 2:21 PM
- Shane Victorino doubled to left scoring Ryan Lavarnway. Runner on second with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 7 2:17 PM
- Xander Bogaerts grounded out second to first scoring Jackie Bradley Jr. On the play, Ryan Lavarnway advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 7 2:16 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway doubled to center scoring Will Middlebrooks. On the play, Jackie Bradley Jr. advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Xander Bogaerts due up.
Red Sox 6, Yankees 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 7 2:15 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to left scoring Brett Gardner. Runner on first with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Red Sox 5, Yankees 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 7 2:03 PM
- Jonny Gomes none-out, three-run Home Run (12) to left scoring Xander Bogaerts and Shane Victorino. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 5, Yankees 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 7 1:48 PM
- Lyle Overbay singled to center scoring Alfonso Soriano. Runner on first with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 7 1:38 PM
- Mike Napoli none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored David Ortiz. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 7 1:23 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 1:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21