Angels rip RangersSep 8, 2013 - 5:15 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Grant Green drove in three runs, Mark Trumbo homered for the second straight day and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim put themselves in position for a series sweep after posting an 8-3 win over the Texas Rangers on Saturday.
J.B. Shuck, Mike Trout and Chris Iannetta each added an RBI apiece to back a solid outing from Garrett Richards (6-6), who scattered two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and a walk over seven innings.
"I was able to pound the zone," said Richards. "My breaking ball came and I started getting ahead of hitters. I feel like I'm making strides, just keeping it simple."
Los Angeles ended a seven-game losing streak to Texas with Friday's 6-5 win, and will go for its first three-game sweep over the club in almost four years on Sunday.
The Rangers have dropped five of their last seven, with the recent skid placing them 1 1/2 games behind Oakland for lead in the AL West.
"You hate to go through this in September, but we're not going anywhere. We'll be around," said Texas manager Ron Washington.
Derek Holland (9-8) was tagged for eight runs -- four earned -- on eight hits over 5 2/3 frames.
Both teams scored in their first turns at the plate, but the Angels answered an RBI single from Adrian Beltre with a three-run inning.
Errors by the Texas infield helped propel LA's scoring, as J.B. Shuck reached after a throwing miscue from Holland and then coming home to score when Beltre threw away a grounder off the bat of Trout. Trumbo then sent the Angels in front with a two-run homer to center field.
The teams traded runs in the second, with Jurickson Profar knocking in a run with a two-out single, but Green countered with a sac fly in the home half for a 4-2 margin.
Erick Aybar reached with a leadoff double in the third, then came home to score on Iannetta's two-out single.
Texas than created a comfortable 8-2 advantage with a three-run sixth, with Green knocking in two with a double and Shuck bringing him in with a two- bagger of his own.
A.J. Pierzynski's homer to begin the top of the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Angels last swept Texas Sept. 28-30, 2009 ... The Rangers lost their first series to LA this season ... The Angels were 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
- TEXAS: 3
LOS ANGELES: 8
Sep 8 12:18 AM
- A.J. Pierzynski lead-off Home Run (17) to right. Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 8 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 8 12:09 AM
- J.B. Shuck doubled to right center scoring Grant Green with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 11:13 PM
- Grant Green doubled to left scoring Josh Hamilton and Chris Iannetta with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 7 11:10 PM
- Chris Iannetta singled to left scoring Erick Aybar with two outs. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Collin Cowgill due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 10:15 PM
- Grant Green sacrifice fly out to center scoring Luis Jimenez with two outs. None on with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 7 9:54 PM
- Jurickson Profar singled to right scoring Leonys Martin with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 3 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 7 9:46 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, two-run Home Run (31) to center scored Mike Trout. Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 7 9:35 PM
- Mike Trout reached first on Adrian Beltre's fielding error scoring J.B. Shuck with one out. Runner on first with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 7 9:34 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to center scoring Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 7 9:15 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 9:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22