Blue Jays blank TwinsSep 9, 2013 - 5:04 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Jose Reyes broke a scoreless deadlock with an RBI double in the eighth inning, and Esmil Rogers worked 7 2/3 blank frames as the Toronto Blue Jays shut out the Minnesota Twins, 2-0, to complete a three-game sweep at Target Field.
"He was in the zone, and he has life when he's in the zone," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said of Rogers.
Following his tie-breaking double, Reyes stole third and scored on Rajai Davis' single to center that capped Toronto's two-run eighth and make a winner out of Rogers (5-7), who scattered three hits and a walk while striking out four.
"The kid has thrown really well and he did again today," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of Rogers.
Brett Cecil and Sergio Santos combined to keep the Twins off the board after Rogers' exit in the eighth, while Casey Janssen worked around a one-out single in the ninth to secure his 29th save of the season.
Jared Burton (2-9) was tagged with the loss after giving up both runs in the eighth in relief of starter Andrew Albers, who struck out five over seven scoreless innings of four-hit ball.
Alex Presley registered two of Minnesota's five hits as the Twins dropped their fourth straight contest.
Minnesota nearly broke through against Rogers in the sixth, as Pedro Florimon clubbed a leadoff double and Presley followed with a single to put runners on the corners.
Chris Herrmann then smacked a grounder to second baseman Ryan Goins, who fired to the plate to nab Florimon and keep the game scoreless.
Presley moved to third when Brian Dozier followed with a flyout, but Oswaldo Arcia grounded out to short to end the threat.
With Albers done after seven frames, the Jays jumped on Burton. Goins delivered a leadoff single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, and scored on Reyes' double to right.
After Reyes swiped third, Davis lifted a high fly ball into shallow right- center field that tipped off the glove of second baseman Dozier and found grass, allowing Reyes to cross the plate for a 2-0 lead.
Minnesota went 1-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base ... Reyes recorded his 14th stolen base of the season ... Rogers has won his last two starts.
- TORONTO: 2
Sep 8 4:45 PM
- Rajai Davis single to center, deflected at second, scored Jose Reyes with one out. Runner on first and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 2, Twins 0 Top 8, 1 OutSep 8 4:13 PM
- Jose Reyes double to right scored Ryan Goins with one out. Runner on second and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Twins 0 Top 8, 1 OutSep 8 4:10 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 2:14 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21