Rangers rally to down Angels, avert sweepSep 8, 2013 - 11:56 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Alex Rios doubled in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning, and the visiting Texas Rangers avoided a three-game sweep by posting a 4-3 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Rios also opened the scoring with a solo home run in the first.
Elvis Andrus knocked in the other two runs for Texas, which snapped a three- game losing streak to remain 1 1/2 games behind the AL West-leading Oakland Athletics.
Alexi Ogando (6-4) picked up the win in relief of Nick Tepesch. The Rangers starter allowed two runs on four hits in 3 1/3 innings, striking out five and walking one.
Andrew Romine hit a two-run double for the Angels, while starter Jason Vargas was in line for the win before giving way to the bullpen. Vargas worked six innings and limited the Rangers to two runs on six hits with eight strikeouts.
"Jason did a great job. He needed a lot of pitches to get through six. He left with the lead but we couldn't hang on," lamented Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Buddy Boshers succeeded Vargas and issued a one-out walk to Leonys Martin in the seventh. Ian Kinsler then greeted Michael Kohn (1-2) with a ground-rule double before right fielder Kole Calhoun made an incredible diving grab to rob Andrus. Martin was still able to tag and score the tying run, however.
Rios followed with a flare that was just out of center fielder Mike Trout's reach.
"I put a good swing on it," Rios said. "I hit that blooper in the right spot that Trout just missed. Hopefully this win will get us going again."
The Angels stranded the tying run at third in the ninth before being retired in order in the ninth by Joe Nathan, who picked up his 39th save.
Calhoun tied the game at 1-1 with a leadoff homer to right, and Los Angeles went up 3-1 on Romine's double in the fourth. Andrus singled home Martin an inning later.
Both teams had nine hits and left eight men on base ... The Rangers improved to 11-4 against the Angels this season.
- TEXAS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 8 7:09 PM
- Alex Rios double to left scored Ian Kinsler with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 8 6:13 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly to right scored Leonys Martin with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runner on third and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 8 6:11 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Leonys Martin with one out. Runner on first and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 2, Angels 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 8 5:17 PM
- Andrew Romine double to left scored Hank Conger and Grant Green with two out. Runner on second and J.B. Shuck due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 8 5:07 PM
- Kole Calhoun lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Mark Trumbo due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 8 4:08 PM
- Alex Rios two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 8 3:42 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 3:39 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22