Soriano homers twice as Yankees down O'sSep 11, 2013 - 6:51 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Alfonso Soriano's second home run of the night, a tie-breaking two-run shot in the top of the eighth inning, lifted the New York Yankees to a 7-5 victory over the Baltimore Orioles in the second test of a key four-game series from Camden Yards.
"He's been a good player for a long time. It's a good pickup for them," O's manager Buck Showalter said of Soriano.
The Yankees trailed 4-3 after seven innings before tagging Baltimore relievers Kevin Gausman (2-5) and Francisco Rodriguez for four runs in the eighth to halt a six-game losing streak in Baltimore.
Soriano had a solo blast off Orioles starter Miguel Gonzalez earlier in the game, while Mark Reynolds went 2-for-4 with a homer and two RBI in the triumph, only New York's second in its past six tilts. Alex Rodriguez contributed two doubles and an RBI for the Yanks.
Adam Warren (2-2) picked up the win with a scoreless inning in relief of Ivan Nova, who surrendered four runs over six frames, with Mariano Rivera recording the final four outs to earn the 650th save of his career.
"With the punch that we have now, you feel you can come back," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Chris Davis belted a two-run homer, his 49th of the season, and finished 2- for-2 with a pair of runs scored for the Orioles. Gonzalez held the Yankees to three runs while fanning six prior to exiting after six innings with a one-run lead.
Alex Rodriguez began the Yankees' eighth-inning rally with a leadoff double into the left-field corner in front of Robinson Cano's single off Gausman that knotted the score at 4-4. Soriano then stepped up and launched a long homer to the opposite field that put New York in front to stay.
The Yankees tacked on an insurance run later in the inning when Curtis Granderson and Reynolds delivered back-to-back doubles against Francisco Rodriguez.
Baltimore managed to pull within 7-5 in the bottom of the eighth, as Davis drew a walk and advanced to third on two wild pitches from New York's Shawn Kelley before crossing the plate on Matt Wieters' sac fly.
Rivera then entered and set down all four batters he faced to notch his 42nd save of the year.
After failing to get a runner past first base against Nova over the first four innings, the Orioles broke through with a four-hit barrage on the Yankees' right-hander to erase a 1-0 deficit in the fifth.
J.J. Hardy and Brian Roberts began Baltimore's half of the frame with singles and Henry Urrutia followed with an infield hit, in which New York shortstop Eduardo Nunez threw wildly to first to enable Hardy to score the tying run. Roberts, who took third on the error, came home on Nick Markakis' fly ball to left when Alex Rodriguez cut off Soriano's throw on what appeared to be a close play at the plate.
Shortly afterward, Davis hammered Nova's first-pitch curveball into the seats to stake the Orioles to a 4-1 lead.
New York used the long ball to close the gap in the sixth. Soriano lined a low fastball from Gonzalez into the seats in left, and Reynolds hit a no-doubter two batters later to cut the deficit to 4-3.
Alex Rodriguez gave the Yankees a 1-0 edge with a two-out double into the left-center field gap in the third that brought in Chris Stewart, who had reached on a single and raced from first to beat the relay throw home.
Davis' homer was his 27th at Oriole Park this year, tying Frank Robinson's club record for home runs at home in a single season set in 1966. Robinson also finished with 49 that year, one shy of Brady Anderson's franchise mark in 1996 ... Baltimore had gone 9-2 in Gonzalez's 11 previous home starts this season ... Yankees catcher Austin Romine left the game in the eighth inning after taking a foul tip from the O's Adam Jones off his mask ... The Yankees signed reliever Mike Zagurski prior to the game while transferring designated hitter Travis Hafner (shoulder strain) to the 60-day disabled list.
- NEW YORK: 7
Sep 10 10:19 PM
- Matt Wieters sacrifice fly out to left scored Chris Davis. None on with two outs and Nate McLouth due up.
Yankees 7, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 10 9:53 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to left scoring Curtis Granderson. Runner on second with none out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 7, Orioles 4 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 10 9:28 PM
- Alfonso Soriano none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (15) to right scored Robinson Cano. Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 6, Orioles 4 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 10 9:23 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to center scoring Alex Rodriguez. Runner on first with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 4 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 10 9:22 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, solo Home Run (18) to left center. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 10 8:48 PM
- Alfonso Soriano one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 10 8:44 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (49) to center scored Henry Urrutia. Adam Jones due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 10 8:37 PM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly out to left scored Brian Roberts. Runner on second with one out and Manny Machado due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 10 8:34 PM
- Henry Urrutia singled to short. On the play, Brian Roberts advances to third and Eduardo Nunez' throwing error scored J.J. Hardy. Runners on second and third with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 10 8:33 PM
- Alex Rodriguez doubled to center scoring Chris Stewart. Runner on second with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 10 7:49 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21