Trumbo, Hamilton lead Angels' rout of JaysSep 11, 2013 - 6:53 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo became the first player in franchise history to record five hits and five runs scored in the same game as the LA Angels of Anaheim routed the Toronto Blue Jays, 12-6, in the opener of a three-game set.
Trumbo finished his historic night a perfect 5-for-5 with three doubles, a home run and two RBI. Josh Hamilton swung a good bat as well, smacking his 20th home run as part of a three-hit, 4-RBI game. Chris Iannetta and Erick Aybar also went yard in the triumph, LA's fifth in six tries against Toronto dating back to last season.
Jerome Williams (7-10) was reached for six runs on nine hits over five-plus innings for the Angels, who snapped a two-game losing skid.
"He just didn't look like he was able to get his sinker where he wanted to and struggled through five innings," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Williams.
Toronto starter Mark Buehrle (11-8) got shelled, allowing the Angels eight runs and 12 hits in just four-plus innings.
"The whole game I wasn't making pitches. Everything was up, I was falling behind in the count," Buehrle said.
LA jumped all over Buehrle in the top of the first. With one away, Aybar belted his sixth home run of the season before Mike Trout drew a one-out walk. Trumbo then doubled to put runners on second and third for Hamilton, who plated a pair with his single to right. Iannetta then muscled a single to right, and with two outs, Grant Green blooped an RBI single in front of Rajai Davis in left to spot Williams a 4-0 lead.
The lead disappeared an inning later when Anthony Gose cleared the bases with his first career grand slam. Adam Lind, J.P. Arencibia and Moises Sierra all singled in front of Gose, who took the first pitch he saw from Williams over the wall in right.
The Angels regained the lead a half inning later when Hamilton singled to right-center, scoring Trumbo.
LA's power surge in the fifth chased Buehrle from the contest before he could record an out. Trumbo and Hamilton cranked back-to-back homers, and after Iannetta doubled to center, Kole Calhoun plated the Angels' eighth run with a ground rule double to right-center. Chad Jenkins relieved Buerhle.
Trumbo's third double of the night drove in a run sparked a three-run sixth inning. One batter after Hamilton was robbed of a base hit by Ryan Goins at second base, Iannetta joined the home run party with a two-run shot to left.
The Jays got a pair back in the bottom of the sixth, which began with Davis' fifth homer of the year. Arencibia then walked, moved to third on Sierra's double and scored when Kevin Pillar grounded out to third.
Calhoun's single to right in the eighth plated Trumbo for the fifth time to result in the final margin.
This was the second tilt in a 10-game road trip for the Angels ... Williams has won consecutive decisions after dropping his previous eight ... Trumbo now has 15 RBI in his last 15 games against the Jays, and his 11 total bases Tuesday are the most among AL first basemen this season ... LA tallied 18 hits compared to Toronto's nine.
- LOS ANGELES: 12
Sep 10 9:50 PM
- Kole Calhoun singled to right scored Mark Trumbo. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Grant Green due up.
Angels 12, Blue Jays 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 10 9:32 PM
- Kevin Pillar grounded out third to first scored J.P. Arencibia. On the play, Moises Sierra advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Angels 11, Blue Jays 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:04 PM
- Rajai Davis lead-off Home Run (5) to left. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Angels 11, Blue Jays 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 10 8:53 PM
- Chris Iannetta one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Mark Trumbo. Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 11, Blue Jays 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 10 8:47 PM
- Mark Trumbo doubled to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on second with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 9, Blue Jays 4 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 10 8:42 PM
- Kole Calhoun ground-rule doubled to center scored Chris Iannetta. Runner on second with none out and Grant Green due up.
Angels 8, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 10 8:22 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (20) to right. Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 7, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 10 8:20 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (32) to left. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 6, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 10 8:19 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to center scored Mark Trumbo, advances to second on Anthony Gose's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 5, Blue Jays 4 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 10 7:52 PM
- Anthony Gose one-out, Grand Slam (1) to right scored Adam Lind, J.P. Arencibia and Moises Sierra. Kevin Pillar due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 4 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 10 7:45 PM
- Grant Green singled to left scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andrew Romine due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 10 7:21 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right scored Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo. Runner on first with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 10 7:14 PM
- Erick Aybar one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Mike Trout due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 10 7:10 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 7:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22