Trumbo powers Angels past Blue JaysSep 12, 2013 - 5:06 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo homered for the second straight game and Kole Calhoun offered two sacrifice flies to lift the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 5-4 win over the Toronto Blue Jays.
With the score tied at 4-4 in the eighth inning, Calhoun smacked his second sac fly to deep left field off Steve Delabar (5-3), easily scoring Mike Trout who walked with one out and advanced to third on Josh Hamilton's double.
Trumbo followed his 5-for-5 tilt last night with a second inning home run and Hamilton went 3-for-3 with a run scored behind C.J. Wilson (16-6), who surrendered four runs -- three earned -- while striking out six over seven frames. Trout walked twice and scored a pair of runs as the Angels were winners for the sixth time in their last seven road games.
"Of all the things we've talked about this year that haven't worked out, C.J. is on the other side of that ledger," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He's having just a terrific season, pitching deep into games. He's going to be 200- plus innings again. Every stat you look at is terrific for him."
Moises Sierra went 3-for-4 with a two doubles and a triple in the losing effort, just Toronto's third loss in its last eight contests. The Jays only managed four hits as a team.
R.A. Dickey lasted 5 1/3 innings, yielding four runs on seven hits before giving way to the Toronto bullpen.
"I thought he looked really sharp that first inning. Then it was kind of hit or miss," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said of Dickey.
Wilson had trouble finding the strike zone in the first inning, walking Rajai Davis and Adam Lind to put runners on the corners for Sierra, who roped a double to left-center to plate the first run. Mark DeRosa then reached on a infield single to short and advanced to second on Erick Aybar's overthrow to first. Two runs scored on the play to put Toronto ahead 3-0 after the first.
Hamilton walked to lead off the second, setting up Trumbo's no-doubter over the wall in center, his fifth extra base hit in his last six at-bats.
Another leadoff walk in the fourth, this time to Trout, came back to hurt Dickey when Calhoun tied the score with a sac fly to center three batters later.
Sierra started the home half with some fireworks, slapping what should have been a double to right field. The ball bounced over Calhoun's head and rolled to the wall, prompting Sierra to take third. On the ensuing relay to third, Aybar's throw deflected off the glove of Andrew Romine and an out-of-breath Sierra trotted home.
The Toronto lead disappeared again via the sac fly in the top of the fifth when Aybar popped to left, plating Grant Green who had doubled earlier in the frame.
Trout became the third Angel in franchise history with 100 runs scored in back-to-back seasons ... The Blue Jays 1-4 hitters all went 0-for-3 with a walk ... Wilson has won 12 of his last 13 decisions and matched a career-high with 16 wins, previously achieved in 2011 as a member of the Texas Rangers.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 11 9:54 PM
- Kole Calhoun sacrificed into a double play, left to third to second to third scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Josh Hamilton tug out trying to advance to third to end the inning.
Angels 5, Blue Jays 4 Mid 8Sep 11 9:30 PM
- Erick Aybar sacrifice fly to left scored Grant Green with two out. Runner on first and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 11 8:22 PM
- Moises Sierra tripled to right, scored on Erick Aybar's throwing error with none out. None on and Mark DeRosa due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 11 8:09 PM
- Kole Calhoun sacrifice fly out to center scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Hank Conger due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 11 8:03 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, two-run Home Run (33) to center scored Josh Hamilton. Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 3 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 11 7:34 PM
- Mark DeRosa single to short scored Adam Lind with two out. On the play, Moises Sierra scored on Erick Aybar's throwing error with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Goins due up.
Angels 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 11 7:27 PM
- Moises Sierra double to center scored Rajai Davis with two outs. On the play, Adam Lind advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mark DeRosa due up.
Angels 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 11 7:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 7:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22