A's pound TwinsSep 12, 2013 - 4:48 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Stephen Vogt singled and homered as part of a 10-run fourth inning which propelled the Oakland Athletics to an 18-3 rout of the Minnesota Twins in the middle tilt of a three-game set from Target Field.
Daric Barton singled to start the frame and moved to third on Seth Smith's double. Vogt and Eric Sogard slapped consecutive singles, chasing starter Mike Pelfrey (5-12) from the contest. Coco Crisp greeted reliever Josh Roenicke with a single to load the bases before Josh Donaldson plated Vogt with a single of his own.
"I threw balls over the middle of the plate and they hit it," said Pelfrey. "It was an awful night."
Jed Lowrie followed with a controversial double down the first base line. Initially ruled a foul ball, umpire Bill Miller huddled with the rest of the crew for a couple of minutes before reversing his call and awarding Lowrie the base. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire was ejected after a prolonged dispute with Miller and crew chief Dale Scott, but the A's continued to pour it on with a Yoenis Cespedes two-RBI double, Barton's RBI single to center and Vogt's two- run homer.
"I think this has been in us all year," said Barton. "We saw the ball pretty well tonight. We were able to put it away early. We're happy with the way things are going right now."
Sonny Gray (3-3) pitched well with the lead, striking out seven batters for his third straight outing. Gray yielded two runs on four hits.
Lowrie finished with four RBI, Vogt and Cespedes each drove in three while Daric Barton had three hits and a pair of RBI in the lopsided victory, the A's fourth in their last five games. Josh Reddick also doubled in the fifth inning in his first at-bat since coming off the disabled list.
Cespedes' first of two doubles plated Brandon Moss in the second inning, giving Oakland an early 1-0 lead.
"All the way around, we didn't pitch very well," said Gardenhire. "Pitching, just the whole package, they dominated us."
The visitors struck again an inning later when Crisp led off with a solo home run to right. Donaldson then got hit with a Pelfrey offering and Moss scored him two batters later. Brian Dozier's RBI single in the third put Minnesota on the board before Oakland pulled away in the fourth.
The onslaught continued in the fifth inning off Cole DeVries. Lowrie blasted a two-run homer to right and Barton plated Reddick with a sac fly to center.
Alex Presley doubled in a run for Minnesota in the fifth inning and Eric Fryer, who made his major league debut in the fifth, hit a home run in his first career plate appearance one inning later .
Moss doubled home a run in the ninth and scored on a Smith infield single to cap the scoring.
The A's brought nine batters to the plate in consecutive innings for the first time in 2013 ... 18 runs are the most Oakland has scored this season ... A's outfielder Michael Choice hit his first career double ... The A's out-hit Minnesota, 22-5 ... Oakland hit 11-of-20 with runners in scoring position ... Pelfrey was stung for seven runs on eight hits in three-plus innings.
- OAKLAND: 18
Sep 11 11:54 PM
- Seth Smith single to pitcher scored Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on first and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 18, Twins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 11 11:46 PM
- Brandon Moss double to center scored Jemile Weeks with none out. Runner on second and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 17, Twins 3 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 11 11:40 PM
- Eric Fryer two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Chris Parmelee due up.
Athletics 16, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 10:59 PM
- Alex Presley double to right center scored Pedro Florimon with one out. Runner on second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
Athletics 16, Twins 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 11 10:35 PM
- Daric Barton sacrifice fly out to center scored Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 16, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 11 10:22 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Andy Parrino. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 15, Twins 1 Top 5, 1 OutSep 11 10:14 PM
- Stephen Vogt two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Seth Smith. Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 13, Twins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 11 9:57 PM
- Daric Barton single to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with one out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 11, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 11 9:53 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to right center scored Josh Donaldson and Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on second and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 10, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 11 9:50 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored Eric Sogard and Coco Crisp with none out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 8, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 11 9:44 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to left scored Stephen Vogt with none out. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second and Eric Sogard advances to third. Bases loaded and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 6, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 11 9:40 PM
- Eric Sogard single to center scored Seth Smith with none out. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to second. Runners on first and second and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 5, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 11 9:33 PM
- Stephen Vogt single to right scored Daric Barton with none out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to third. Runners on first and third and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 4, Twins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 11 9:30 PM
- Brian Dozier single to left scored Chris Herrmann with two out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to second and Eduardo Escobar advances to third. Runners on second and third and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Athletics 3, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 9:21 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right center scored Josh Donaldson with one out. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 11 9:02 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (19) to right. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 11 8:54 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to right center scored Brandon Moss with none out. Runner on second and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 11 8:32 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 8:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22