Yankees hold on, escape Baltimore with series victorySep 13, 2013 - 5:32 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Brendan Ryan singled and scored on a wild pitch in the ninth inning Thursday night, lifting the Yankees to a 6-5 win over the Orioles in the finale of a four-game series.
The Yankees found themselves suddenly needing a run after Danny Valencia's three-run homer tied the game for Baltimore in the eighth inning -- the end of a rally that started with two outs and nobody on base.
Mark Reynolds hit a two-run homer and Curtis Granderson had a solo shot for the Yankees, who won the last three games of the four-game series and remained one game behind Tampa Bay for the second American League wild card.
"We need to continue to win and we need to continue to take series if we want to play in October," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Orioles closer Jim Johnson (3-8) threw the wild pitch with Alex Rodriguez batting that scored Ryan with the go-ahead run and Mariano Rivera (6-2) threw a perfect ninth for the Yankees.
The Orioles went 4-4 on an eight-game homestand. Nick Markakis hit a solo home run in the loss.
Ryan, acquired from Seattle this week, reached second base when Johnson threw into the outfield on a force attempt after Chris Stewart's bunt. Granderson moved both runners up on a bunt before Johnson's wild pitch scored Ryan.
"It's frustrating but our guys battled back. I'm proud of them," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter.
Yankees starter Phil Hughes went three-plus innings, giving up three hits and one run while striking out three. Wei-Yin Chen allowed five runs on seven hits and two walks with nine strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.
Baltimore's three-run rally in the eighth came against David Robertson.
Reynolds, the former Oriole, hit his 200th career home run in the second inning after Eduardo Nunez led off with a single.
In the third, Vernon Wells drove in two runs with a bases-loaded single to make it 4-0 Yankees. Manny Machado's RBI single got the Orioles on the board in the bottom of the inning.
Granderson's sixth homer of the season made it 5-1 in the seventh inning but Markakis' 10th of the year leading off the bottom of the inning got the Orioles within three again.
Yankees left fielder Alfonso Soriano robbed a home run from Manny Machado leading off the eighth inning with a leaping catch at the wall ... The start of the game was delayed 78 minutes because of rain ... The Yankees continue a 10-game road trip with three in Boston starting Friday ... The Orioles begin a 10-game road trip Friday in Toronto ... Reynolds hit his 19th home run of the season.
- NEW YORK: 6
Sep 12 11:33 PM
- Manny Machado fouled out to first to end the game.
Sep 12 11:28 PM
- Brendan Ryan scored on a wild pitch with one out. Chris Stewart advances to third. Runner on third and Alex Rodriguez at the plate.
Yankees 6, Orioles 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 12 11:18 PM
- Danny Valencia two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left center scored Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. J.J. Hardy due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 12 11:05 PM
- Nick Markakis lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Danny Valencia due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 12 10:28 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 1 Top 7, 1 OutSep 12 10:16 PM
- Manny Machado single to right scored Matt Wieters with two out. Runner on first and Chris Davis due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 12 9:24 PM
- Vernon Wells single to left scored Alex Rodriguez and Alfonso Soriano with none out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 12 9:11 PM
- Mark Reynolds none-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Eduardo Nunez. Brendan Ryan due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 12 8:48 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 8:23 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21