Angels edge Jays to complete sweepSep 13, 2013 - 5:34 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Mike Trout delivered a go-ahead double in the fifth inning in a game that featured four lead changes as the LA Angels of Anaheim completed a three-game sweep of the Toronto Blue Jays with a 4-3 victory on Thursday.
Trout broke a 3-3 tie when he and Erick Aybar smacked consecutive doubles, chasing J.A. Happ (4-6) from the contest. After Collin Cowgill struck out to start the frame, Aybar belted a two-bagger to left before Trout delivered his decisive ground-rule double to center.
Kole Calhoun homered and Aybar had two hits and a pair of runs scored for the Angels, who improved to 15-5 in their last 20 games. Garrett Richards (7-6) allowed three runs on nine hits in 6 2/3 innings and Ernesto Frieri picked up his 33rd save.
"It's always good when you're playing well and we're seeing a lot of good things on the field," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Jose Reyes went 4-for-4 with two doubles and a homer in the losing effort behind Happ, who lasted just 4 1/3 innings after giving up four runs on six hits.
"We're not throwing out our top-notch lineup right now, we're scratching for runs, so our starters have got to step up," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said.
Adam Lind spotted Happ an early lead with an RBI double to right, plating Reyes, who singled to lead off the home half of the first.
LA tied the score a half inning later when Grant Green drove home Chris Iannetta with a single to center. It then took the lead when Aybar came around to score following Anthony Gose's poor throw back to the infield after securing Mark Trumbo's pop fly in the third.
Reyes led off the bottom of the third with a homer to right and later in the inning, Moises Sierra doubled home Munenori Kawasaki for a 3-2 edge, which would last just a half inning.
Calhoun's home run, his seventh of the year, to right-center once again knotted the score.
Richards ran into trouble in the seventh. After retiring the first two batters he faced on groundouts, Reyes doubled down the right field line, prompting the Angels to make a pitching change. Michael Kohn took the hill and promptly walked Kawasaki before fanning Brett Lawrie to secure the lead.
Reyes doubled with two outs in the ninth off Frieri and Kawasaki earned a 10- pitch walk before Lawrie struck out to end the contest.
Sierra had three hits for Toronto, his second three-hit game in a row... Lawrie and Cowgill each went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts ... Toronto outhit LA, 11-8.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 12 10:23 PM
- Brett Lawrie struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 12 10:18 PM
- Mike Trout doubled to left center scoring Erick Aybar with one out. Runner on second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 1 OutSep 12 8:33 PM
- Kole Calhoun one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right center. Grant Green due up.
Angels 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 12 8:13 PM
- Moises Sierra doubled to left scoring Munenori Kawasaki with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Rajai Davis due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 12 8:07 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 12 8:00 PM
- Mark Trumbo flied out to center. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second and Erick Aybar scored on Anthony Gose's throwing error with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 12 7:56 PM
- Grant Green singled to center scoring Chris Iannetta with two outs. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andrew Romine due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 12 7:37 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to right scoring Jose Reyes with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Moises Sierra due up.
Angels 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 12 7:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 7:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22