Davis cracks 50th HR as O's edge Blue JaysSep 14, 2013 - 5:25 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Chris Davis' 50th home run of the season not only tied Baltimore's franchise record for homers in a season, but it vaulted the Orioles to a much-needed victory over the Toronto Blue Jays.
Davis crushed a tiebreaking solo shot in the top of the eighth inning to lift the O's to a 5-3 victory over the Blue Jays on Friday in the opener of a three-game set at Rogers Centre.
The 27-year-old slugger matched Brady Anderson's mark for homers in a season, which the former Oriole outfielder set on Sept. 29, 1996 in Toronto.
"It's nice to have personal goals and to reach your own goals, but when the team's winning and you're successful it makes it that much sweeter," Davis said.
Steve Clevenger tied the game with a two-run double as part of a three-run seventh to set the table for Davis' heroics and help the Orioles snap a three- game skid to remain in the thick of the AL wild card race.
Tommy Hunter (5-4) picked up the win after recording the final two outs of the seventh and spinning a scoreless eighth before Jim Johnson worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to nail down his 44th save of the season.
Adam Lind launched a two-run homer and Colby Rasmus added a solo blast for the Jays, who have lost four straight games.
Steve Delabar (5-4) was tagged with the loss after giving up Davis' homer in the eighth.
Lind laced his two-run shot with two down in the fourth before Rasmus led off the fifth with a drive over the right-field wall to make it 3-0 Toronto.
Blue Jays starter Todd Redmond held the O's to a pair of singles over the first six frames before serving up a leadoff double to Adam Jones in the seventh.
"My last few starts I was able to keep the ball down," Redmond said of his early success. "It's paid off pretty well."
After Nick Markakis grounded out to move Jones to third, Dustin McGowan replaced Redmond on the mound and was greeted by J.J. Hardy, who stroked a double to left to plate Jones and bring the O's within 3-1.
Ryan Flaherty followed with a walk before Danny Valencia popped out, but Clevenger came through with a two-out sinking liner to right that bounced over Moises Sierra's head, allowing both runners to score and tie the game.
Davis put the O's in front with his leadoff blast in the eighth before Jones followed with a single and moved to second on a Markakis groundout.
After Hardy popped out, Delabar intentionally walked Flaherty to get to Valencia, who laced a single to center to score Jones for a two-run edge.
Davis became the third player in MLB history with 50 home runs and 40 doubles in a season, joining Babe Ruth and Albert Belle ... Baltimore starter Jason Hammel allowed three runs on three hits and a walk over five frames ... Redmond struck out seven and was charged for one run on three hits in 6 1/3 innings.
- BALTIMORE: 5
Sep 13 9:53 PM
- Colby Rasmus struck out looking to end the game.
Sep 13 9:49 PM
- Danny Valencia singled to center scoring Adam Jones with two out. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to second. Runners on first and second and Steve Clevenger due up.
Orioles 5, Blue Jays 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 13 9:22 PM
- Chris Davis lead-off Home Run (50) to center. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 13 9:11 PM
- Steve Clevenger double to right scored J.J. Hardy and Ryan Flaherty with two out. Runner on second and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 13 8:43 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Adam Jones with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 13 8:37 PM
- Colby Rasmus lead-off Home Run (19) to right. Moises Sierra due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 13 8:11 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, two-run Home Run (20) to right center scored Edwin Encarnacion. Brett Lawrie due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 13 8:01 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22