Twins rally past RaysSep 16, 2013 - 2:34 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Josmil Pinto smacked a go-ahead three-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning to lift the Minnesota Twins to a 6-4 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in the finale of a three-game set.
James Loney's one-out RBI single against Casey Fien (5-2) in the top of the eighth gave the Rays a 4-2 lead, but Minnesota exploded for a quartet of two- out runs in the home half against Joel Peralta (2-8).
Ryan Doumit's two-out homer to right-center cut the deficit to 4-3 before Trevor Plouffe singled and Josh Willingham walked. Pinto stepped up next and drilled an 0-1 fastball into the Rays bullpen in left-center.
Glen Perkins tossed a scoreless ninth to notch his 35th save of the season.
Plouffe tallied three hits and Doumit scored twice for the Twins, who snapped a four-game slide.
Wil Myers cracked a two-run shot and scored twice for Tampa Bay, which had its three-game winning streak snapped. Rays starter David Price surrendered two runs on six hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings in the no-decision.
"I put too much pressure on myself to be perfect," Price said.
Tampa Bay has a one game lead over the Cleveland Indians for the AL's second wild-card spot. The Tribe are currently playing the Chicago White Sox.
The Rays jumped out to a 3-0 lead after plating two runs in the fourth and another in the fifth.
Myers crushed his no-doubt shot into left-center in the fourth, while Sean Rodriguez's solo blast in the fifth staked Tampa Bay its three-run cushion.
Chris Parmelee's two-out, two-run single in the seventh got the Twins on the board.
"I was just looking for a pitch to get something in the outfield," Parmelee said of his approach.
Minnesota was 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while Tampa Bay finished 1-for-5 with RISP ... Myers' homer was his 12th of the season ... Minnesota starter Pedro Hernandez allowed three runs on four hits and four walks over five frames.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Sep 15 5:42 PM
- Evan Longoria flied out to center to end the game.
Sep 15 5:28 PM
- Josmil Pinto two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Pedro Florimon and Clete Thomas. Chris Parmelee due up.
Rays 4, Twins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 15 5:19 PM
- Ryan Doumit two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Rays 4, Twins 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 15 5:10 PM
- James Loney single to right scored Wil Myers with one out. On the play, James Loney advances to second on Josmil Pinto's missed catch error. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runners on second and third and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 4, Twins 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 15 4:51 PM
- Chris Parmelee single to center scored Ryan Doumit and Trevor Plouffe with one out. On the play, Josmil Pinto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
Rays 3, Twins 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 15 4:37 PM
- Sean Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (4) to left center. Jose Molina due up.
Rays 3, Twins 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 15 3:30 PM
- Wil Myers one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left center scored Evan Longoria. Delmon Young due up.
Rays 2, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 15 3:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 2:14 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22