White Sox pound Twins to stop skidSep 17, 2013 - 5:19 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago White Sox ended their scoring slump by batting around during a seven-run first inning, and went on to crush the Minnesota Twins, 12-1, to end a six-game losing streak.
Chicago's first inning outburst totaled the amount it scored over its most recent slide, with the team's 1-8 hitters each recording at least one hit, one run scored and one RBI in the victory.
Backed by plenty of support, Erik Johnson (1-2) cruised over six scoreless innings to pick up his first major league victory. He allowed just four hits and two walks while striking out eight.
"You could say that. It's good, I think, for the lineup to have a night like this with a lot of guys swinging the bats," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. "If we need dogs to show up every night, we'll go ahead and make that happen."
Liam Hendriks (1-3) only got two outs before his outing was over. He allowed five singles and three walks, with his last pushing in Chicago's fifth run. He exited with the bases loaded and was charged with seven runs in all.
"I missed a couple of pitches, got some weak contact, but after that I couldn't get into a rhythm, I couldn't get into a flow. That was embarrassing," Hendriks said.
Conor Gillaspie, Paul Konerko, Dayan Viciedo and Gordon Beckham each drove in runs with hits and Alejandro De Aza, who led off the first, drew a bases loaded walk that forced Twins manager Ron Gardenhire to go to his bullpen.
Michael Tonkin took the mound and Alexei Ramirez opened up a 7-0 lead for the White Sox with a two-run single that capped the big inning.
Back-to-back home runs from Adam Dunn and Viciedo in the fourth made it a nine-run game, and Jordan Danks' two-run shot in the sixth pushed the spread to double digits.
It was 12-0 in the seventh, after Ramirez drove in his third run of the day with a solo homer.
The Twins finally got on the board in the next half frame on Chris Parmalee's RBI single.
The White Sox had 13 hits ... Ramirez was 4-for-4 ... Alex Presley and Oswaldo Arcia each had two hits for Minnesota ... White Sox catcher Bryan Anderson was the only starter not to record a hit for the team.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Sep 16 11:33 PM
- Eduardo Escobar grounded out first to pitcher to end the game.
Sep 16 11:28 PM
- Chris Parmelee single to right scored Oswaldo Arcia with two out. Runner on first and Josmil Pinto due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 12 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 16 11:12 PM
- Alexei Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Conor Gillaspie due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 12 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 16 11:00 PM
- Jordan Danks two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Dayan Viciedo. Gordon Beckham due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 16 10:39 PM
- Dayan Viciedo one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right center. Jordan Danks due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 9 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 16 9:55 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, solo Home Run (32) to right. Dayan Viciedo due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 8 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 16 9:54 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to left scored Jordan Danks and Gordon Beckham with two out. On the play, Alejandro De Aza advances to second. Runners on first and second and Conor Gillaspie due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 7 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 16 9:01 PM
- Alejandro De Aza's walk scored Dayan Viciedo with two out. Bases loaded and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 16 8:53 PM
- Gordon Beckham single to center scored Paul Konerko with one out. On the play, Jordan Danks advances to second and Dayan Viciedo advances to third. Bases loaded and Bryan Anderson due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 4 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 16 8:48 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to right scored Conor Gillaspie with one out. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jordan Danks due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 16 8:45 PM
- Paul Konerko single to right scored Alexei Ramirez with none out. On the play, Conor Gillaspie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Dunn due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 16 8:42 PM
- Conor Gillaspie single to left center scored Alejandro De Aza with none out. On the play, Alexei Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Paul Konerko due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 16 8:39 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22