Angels rout AthleticsSep 17, 2013 - 6:38 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim got home runs from Mark Trumbo and Mike Trout in a 12-1 rout of the Oakland Athletics on Monday.
Trumbo, Trout and Kole Calhoun each knocked in three runs for the Angels, who have won three in a row and six of seven. Andrew Romine, Josh Hamilton and Hank Conger added an RBI apiece.
LA starter C.J. Wilson (17-6) allowed one run on four hits while striking out six over seven innings. The left-hander won his fourth straight start and ninth consecutive decision.
"There is no doubt this year has filled us with a lot of frustration," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "This last month gives us a lot of hope looking forward to some of our kids that are playing well. Some of the things we've been looking to take place and be in place during the season."
Derek Norris drove in the lone run for the Athletics, who remained 6 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers for first place in the AL West. Texas lost to Tampa Bay on Monday.
Jarrod Parker (11-7) gave up eight runs -- seven earned -- on eight hits over 4 1/3 innings for Oakland, which had a five-game winning streak snapped. The right-hander entered Monday the owner of a nine-game winning streak and 19- start unbeaten streak, the longest in Oakland history and the longest by an A's pitcher since Lefty Grove had a 21-start streak without a loss in 1931.
"I can either dwell on it or move on," Parker said. "Early in the game it felt like forever since I've been out there. It wasn't very good execution. Not very many of my pitches were down in the zone, not even my off-speed stuff."
The Angels scored all the runs they would need in the first inning. J.B. Shuck walked, moved to second on Howie Kendrick's groundout, advanced to third on Trout's groundout and raced home on Hamilton's single to center. After Trumbo doubled to left, Calhoun hit an RBI single to right.
LA tacked on another run in the third. Kendrick singled, moved to third when Hamilton reached first on Alberto Callaspo's fielding error and crossed the plate when Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice.
The Angels scored five more runs in the fifth to make it an 8-0 contest. Shuck and Kendrick hit back-to-back singles before Trout's RBI double to left. Trumbo walked to load the bases for Calhoun, who hit a two-run single to right. Jerry Blevins came in from the bullpen and gave up run-scoring singles to Conger and Romine.
Oakland finally got on the board in the sixth. Josh Donaldson walked, moved to second on Yoenis Cespedes' single and scored on Norris' single to center.
Trout and Trumbo each hit two-run homers in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Despite Monday's loss, the A's lead the season series by a 9-5 margin ... Wilson improved to 11-7 lifetime against Oakland ... The Angels had 15 hits, compared to six for the Athletics ... Oakland's magic number to clinch the AL West crown is down to seven ... Parker was scratched from his start at Texas on Sunday because of an illness.
- LOS ANGELES: 12
Sep 17 1:20 AM
- Andy Parrino flied out to right to end the game.
Sep 17 1:17 AM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (34) to right center scored John Hester. Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 12, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 17 12:42 AM
- Mike Trout two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to center scored Andrew Romine. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 10, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 17 12:38 AM
- Derek Norris singled to center scored Josh Donaldson. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nate Freiman due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 17 12:12 AM
- Andrew Romine singled to center scored Kole Calhoun. On the play, Hank Conger advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 16 11:46 PM
- Hank Conger singled to center scored Mark Trumbo. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andrew Romine due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 16 11:44 PM
- Kole Calhoun singled to right scored Howie Kendrick and Mike Trout. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 16 11:38 PM
- Mike Trout doubled to left scored J.B. Shuck. On the play, Howie Kendrick advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 16 11:28 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Howie Kendrick. Josh Hamilton out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 16 10:55 PM
- Kole Calhoun singled to right scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 16 10:19 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to center scored J.B. Shuck. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 16 10:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22