Donaldson's 9th inning hit leads A's over AngelsSep 18, 2013 - 7:15 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Donaldson hit an RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to lift the Oakland Athletics to a 2-1 win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Alberto Callaspo singled off Michael Kohn (1-3) to begin the ninth for Oakland. After pinch-runner Jemile Weeks tagged on a Stephen Vogt's fly ball to left field, Kohn walked pinch-hitter Jed Lowrie and Coco Crisp, the former intentionally.
Kohn was able to strike out Daric Barton swinging, but Donaldson trimmed Oakland's magic number for the AL West title to six with a line drive to right-center field.
"We feel good about (Donaldson) up there anytime in situations like that," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
Grant Balfour (1-3) earned the win after striking out the side in the top of the ninth.
Despite a handful of chances for both Oakland and Texas, the game remained tied since the teams traded first-inning runs.
Sonny Gray pitched the first six innings for Oakland, allowing a Mike Trout homer among five hits. He fanned five and walked one.
Garrett Richards was equally impressive for the Angels over his seven-plus innings on the mound. Brandon Moss' RBI double was one of seven hits given up by Richards, who struck out six and walked two.
"He really pitched a strong game," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Richards.
The Angels were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base. Oakland finished 2-for-10 and stranded 11.
Donaldson had three hits ... The Angels activated infielder Chris Nelson (strained right hamstring) from the 15-day disabled list.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Sep 18 1:38 AM
- Josh Donaldson single to right center scored Jemile Weeks with two out to end the game.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 18 1:37 AM
- Brandon Moss ground-rule double to right scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 17 10:29 PM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (25) to center. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 17 10:14 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22