Martinez leads Tigers past MarinersSep 19, 2013 - 11:45 PM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Victor Martinez went 2-for-2 with two doubles, two walks and two RBI to lead the Detroit Tigers past the Seattle Mariners, 5-4.
Martinez knocked in the go-ahead run with a double in the seventh inning, capping a two-run rally.
Torii Hunter went 2-for-5 with a solo home run and two runs scored and Prince Fielder was 3-for-4 with two doubles, one RBI and scored two runs.
Tigers starter Doug Fister (13-9) pitched well enough through 7 2/3 innings, despite four runs given up. He struck out 10 and allowed one walk and one home run. The save was collected by Joaquin Benoit, his 22nd of season. He notched one strikeout in a perfect ninth.
"Our defense really picked me up a lot of times tonight," Fister said. "And the offense just kept grinding until it took its toll on the other team."
The Mariners' Dustin Ackley was 1-for-5 with a three-run home run. Raul Ibanez went 1-for-4 and added an RBI.
Seattle starter James Paxton lasted five innings and gave up three runs, struck out three and walked four. He left the game with the lead, but got a no-decision.
Reliever Charlie Furbish (2-6) picked up the loss for Seattle after allowing one run in his one inning of work.
In the seventh inning Hunter led off with a double and Miguel Cabrera flew out to right to send Hunter to third. Fielder singled to center to score Hunter. Martinez then hit his second double of the game, scoring Fielder for the decisive run of the game.
Earlier, Kyle Seager had a two-out single in the first inning followed by a Kendrys Morales single which set up Ibanez's single to drive in the first run of the game, giving Seattle a 1-0 lead.
The Tigers answered in the bottom of the first when Hunter hit a solo home run with one out. After the home run Cabrera walked and Fielder hit into a fielder's choice to second. Martinez then drove in Fielder from first with a double into left field to make the score 2-1.
In the bottom of the third, Paxton walked Omar Infante with the bases loaded to force in another Detroit run.
In the top of the fifth Fister ran into trouble, giving up singles to Mike Zunino and Carlos Triunfel. Ackley then hit a three-run homer, his fourth of the season, to give Seattle the lead at 4-3.
"I thought we did a good job of making (Fister) work," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said.
The Tigers are five wins from clinching the AL central ... Detroit raised its single-season strikeout record to 1,322 ... Tigers pitchers had 45 strikeouts in the four-game set ... Detroit took the season series 5-2 ... Ibanez still remains one home run away from having 300 for his career and from tying Ted Williams for most home runs in a season by a player over 40 years old ... Tigers left-handed reliever Phil Coke was unavailable due to tenderness in his elbow.
- SEATTLE: 4
Sep 19 3:54 PM
- Dustin Ackley struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 19 3:51 PM
- Victor Martinez double to left scored Prince Fielder with one out. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 19 3:15 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 19 3:12 PM
- Dustin Ackley none-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Mike Zunino and Carlos Triunfel. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 3 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 19 2:24 PM
- Omar Infante walked to score Miguel Cabrera with two outs. Bases loaded and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 2:02 PM
- Victor Martinez double to left scored Prince Fielder with two outs. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 19 1:30 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 19 1:21 PM
- Raul Ibanez single to right scored Kyle Seager with two outs. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to third. Runners on first and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 19 1:15 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 1:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22