Jays top fading YanksSep 20, 2013 - 6:19 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Anthony Gose and Adam Lind belted homers to back seven strong innings from Todd Redmond as the Toronto Blue Jays posted a 6-2 victory over the spiraling New York Yankees at Rogers Centre.
Gose finished a triple shy of the cycle, while Lind's three-run blast highlighted a 2-for-4 night that helped Toronto take the rubber match of this three-game set. Jose Reyes also had two hits, including an RBI double.
Redmond (4-2) did his part on the mound, limiting New York's struggling offense to a run on four hits while striking out seven.
"He competes, he doesn't give in, nothing rattles him," Jays manager John Gibbons said of Redmond.
New York scored in just three of 27 innings in this series and has managed just 13 runs in dropping five of six, a slide that has damaged its hopes for obtaining one of the AL's wild card berths. The Yankees trail Tampa Bay and Texas by 3 1/2 games for the two available spots
"It's tough," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "They're all tough at this point. We haven't swung the bats that well for the last week."
The Yankees did receive a solo homer from Curtis Granderson, with Robinson Cano going 2-for-4 with a double in the setback.
Hiroki Kuroda (11-12) lost his fifth consecutive decision after surrendering three runs on eight hits over six innings.
Kuroda got inning-ending double plays to work out of jams in each of the opening two frames, but couldn't avoid trouble when the Blue Jays threatened again in the third.
Gose led off with a single and Reyes followed with a double into the gap in left center to bring him home with the game's initial run. A sacrifice bunt from Munenori Kawasaki and Brett Lawrie's grounder to third plated Reyes for a 2-0 edge.
Redmond, meanwhile, held the Yankees in check by yielding just three hits over his first five innings before Granderson sent a fastball into the right-field seats in the sixth to get New York on the board.
Gose restored Toronto's two-run edge in the bottom of the inning, though, drilling a Kuroda sinker over the wall in right for his third career home run.
Kuroda was removed in favor of Joba Chamberlain to begin the bottom of the seventh, when the Blue Jays put the contest out of reach courtesy of Lind. After Kawasaki drew a walk and Lawrie singled to put two men on, the first baseman launched a towering homer into the second deck to increase the lead to 6-1.
The Yankees were able to muster a mild rally in the ninth, loading the bases with one out on a pair of walks around a Cano single. That prompted Toronto manager John Gibbons to summon closer Casey Janssen into the game.
Janssen got Vernon Wells to ground out that knocked in New York's second run, then retired Lyle Overbay to record his 32nd save of the season.
Redmond improved to 3-0 with a 2.05 ERA in seven appearances (six starts) at home ... Kuroda fell to 4-10 on the road and is now winless in his last seven starts overall ... New York's Alex Rodriguez went 0-for-3 and has just one hit in his last 21 at-bats ... Toronto starters have now allowed three earned runs or less in seven straight games ... The game concluded the season series between the division rivals, with the Yankees taking 14 of the 19 meetings.
- NEW YORK: 2
Sep 19 10:04 PM
- Lyle Overbay grounded out to first to end the game.
Sep 19 10:02 PM
- Vernon Wells' ground out second to first scored Alex Rodriguez with two out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second and Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on second and third and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 6 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 19 10:00 PM
- Adam Lind none-out, three-run Home Run (22) to right scored Munenori Kawasaki and Brett Lawrie. Colby Rasmus due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 19 9:16 PM
- Anthony Gose two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jose Reyes due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 19 8:57 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 19 8:48 PM
- Brett Lawrie's ground out third to first scored Jose Reyes with two out. None on and Adam Lind due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 19 7:57 PM
- Jose Reyes double to left center scored Anthony Gose with none out. Runner on second and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 19 7:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21