A's blank Twins, increase divisional leadSep 21, 2013 - 7:01 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Bartolo Colon turned in six shutout innings and the Oakland Athletics moved their magic number down to two by taking advantage of a sloppy Minnesota Twins team in an 11-0 triumph on Friday.
Colon (17-6) scattered just five hits and a walk while striking out eight over another stellar outing. He was backed by plenty of offensive support, some of which the Twins provided on their own.
Minnesota committed four errors on the evening, with its third of the night contributing to a five-run inning for Oakland.
Derek Norris had two hits and three runs scored, while Josh Donaldson and Yoenis Cespedes each contributed home runs to help Oakland to its 11th win in 14 games and move the team one step closer to the AL West division title.
"Similar to last year, we've really kind of hit our stride in the second half," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin.
Andrew Albers (2-4) ended on the hook for eight runs -- although only three were earned. He allowed eight hits over 4 2/3 frames in the Twins' eighth setback in 10 games.
"Unfortunately for him, if we just make a couple plays behind him, different story," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "You've got to make plays and we didn't make plays."
The game completely unraveled in the fifth for Minnesota. Eduardo Escobar made a diving stop on Chris Young's hard hit grounder with the bases loaded, but the inning continued after the third baseman's throw sailed wide of first base. Two runs came in on the two-out error, ending Albers' outing. Ryan Presley took over and allowed an RBI single to Alberto Callaspo, who later came in to score on a wild pitch to make it 9-0 Oakland.
Donaldson added a two-run shot in the sixth to account for the final margin.
Cespedes began a three-run second inning with a solo blast to begin the frame. Norris followed with a double and later scored on a base hit from Reddick, who was then able to come around and make it 3-0 when Twins right fielder Oswaldo Garcia botched Daric Barton's ensuing base hit.
Callaspo knocked in a run in the fourth, with Norris coming home after singling to start the frame and then swiping second base.
The A's have won nine of their last 11 meetings with the Twins ... Minnesota had six hits to Oakland's 11 ... The Twins were 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Gardenhire remains three wins shy of 1,000 for his career.
- MINNESOTA: 0
Sep 21 1:06 AM
- Josh Donaldson none-out, two-run Home Run (24) to left center scored Coco Crisp. Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 11 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 21 12:19 AM
- Alberto Callaspo scored on a wild pitch with two outs. Josh Reddick advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Daric Barton at the plate.
Twins 0, Athletics 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 21 12:02 AM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to right scored Chris Young with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 21 12:01 AM
- Chris Young reached second on Eduardo Escobar's throwing error scored Josh Donaldson, Jed Lowrie and Derek Norris with two outs. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 20 11:59 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to left scored Derek Norris with one out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 20 11:28 PM
- Daric Barton singled to right scored Josh Reddick with two outs, advances to third on Oswaldo Arcia's fielding error. Runner on third and Coco Crisp due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 20 10:53 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to second scored Derek Norris with two outs. Runner on first and Daric Barton due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 20 10:47 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes lead-off Home Run (25) to left center. Derek Norris due up.
Twins 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 20 10:38 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 10:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22