Early burst of offense sends Halos past M'sSep 22, 2013 - 4:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Grant Green stroked a three-run double as part of a four-run second inning, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim held off the Seattle Mariners, 6-5, on Saturday in the middle portion of a three-game set at Angel Stadium.
Collin Cowgill clubbed a solo homer and scored three times, while Andrew Romine added an RBI for the Angels, who have won three straight and six of their last seven games.
Jerome Williams (9-10) held Seattle to one run on five hits and as many walks while striking out five over 5 2/3 innings to pick up the win.
Ernesto Frieri secured his 36th save of the season, despite giving up a solo shot to Raul Ibanez in the ninth.
Joe Saunders (11-16) was tagged for all six runs on six hits over seven innings to absorb the loss.
"Joe threw the ball well," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of his starter. "He had a rough inning and walked a couple, but he came back strong."
Nick Franklin collected two hits and scored twice for the Mariners, who have lost three straight and six of their last seven games.
LA jumped on Saunders in the second, as Mark Trumbo walked, Chris Iannetta singled and Cowgill earned a free pass before Green cleared the bases with a double to left to give the Angels a 3-0 lead.
After moving to third on a wild pitch, Green scored on Romine's single to right to make it 4-0.
Seattle got a run back in the third on Kyle Seager's run-scoring groundout, but Cowgill homered with one-out in the fourth to restore LA's four-run lead.
After Abraham Almonte scored on a balk in the seventh, Cowgill led off the home half with a triple and stole home two batters later to make it 6-2.
"It was a squeeze," Cowgill said. "It was my job to get a good break. Saunders might have rushed a little bit, but we got the run."
The Mariners moved within two runs in the eighth, as Dustin Ackley capped a string of three straight singles with an RBI base hit to left. Almonte followed with a sacrifice fly to left to make it 6-4.
Ibanez homered with one out in the ninth, but Frieri retired the final two Mariners in order to end the game.
Saunders has lost his last three starts ... Williams collected his fourth straight win ... Seattle went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 11 runners on base.
- SEATTLE: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 22 12:23 AM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, solo Home Run (29) to right. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 6 Top 9, 1 OutSep 22 12:23 AM
- Abraham Almonte sacrifice fly out to left scoring Brad Miller with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 22 12:21 AM
- Dustin Ackley singled to left scoring Nick Franklin with one out. On the play, Brad Miller advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Abraham Almonte due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 6 Top 8, 1 OutSep 22 12:20 AM
- Collin Cowgill steals home with one out. None on with one out and Andrew Romine at the plate.
Mariners 2, Angels 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 22 12:18 AM
- Cory Rasmus balk socred Abraham Almonte with two outs, Kyle Seager advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Smoak at the plate.
Mariners 2, Angels 5 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 22 12:16 AM
- Collin Cowgill one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Grant Green due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 22 12:03 AM
- Kyle Seager grounded out to pitcher scoring Nick Franklin with two outs. On the play, Abraham Almonte advances to second and Dustin Ackley advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 4 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 21 11:54 PM
- Andrew Romine singled to right scoring Grant Green with one out. Runner on first with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 4 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 21 11:50 PM
- Grant Green doubled to left scoring Mark Trumbo, Chris Iannetta and Collin Cowgill with one out. Runner on second with one out and Andrew Romine due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 21 11:48 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 11:21 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21