Crisp leads the way as A's finish off 4-game sweep of TwinsSep 23, 2013 - 1:45 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Coco Crisp finished with a three-run home run and four RBI as Oakland outslugged Minnesota, 11-7, in the finale of a four- game set.
Eric Sogard added two hits, two runs scored and drove in two for the Athletics, who received solo homers from Daric Barton and Jed Lowrie en route to a series sweep and their second consecutive division crown.
Oakland's victory put the punctuation on clinching the AL West title, which had actually been accomplished earlier Sunday when Kansas City beat Texas with a 10th-inning grand slam.
"It's just a whole different feel this year," Oakland manager Bob Melvin said of the A's securing their second straight AL West crown. "Because we did expect to be here this year."
Sonny Gray (4-3) allowed four runs on seven hits over his five-inning start for the win.
Oswaldo Arcia went 3-for-4 with a three-run homer and knocked in a career-best six runs for the Twins, while Brian Dozier added three hits, two runs scored and an RBI.
Cole De Vries (0-1) lasted only two frames, charged with four hits and six runs with three walks.
Arcia managed to make things interesting in the ninth, driving in a pair with a two-out single off Evan Scribner to make it a four-run contest. Alex Presley led off with a single and Dozier added a double, before Trevor Plouffe struck out and Arcia's hit boosted his RBI total.
However, Arcia was tagged out at second trying to stretch and Josmil Pinto went down on strikes to end the contest.
"They are a fun baseball team to watch," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of the A's. "They play the game the right way and respect the game. So congratulations to those guys."
Arcia singled home Presley with two down in the first, but Oakland stormed back with six runs in its second turn at the plate.
All of the runs came with two outs, as Josh Reddick began the rally with a walk, then both Barton and Stephen Vogt walked to load the bases. Sogard brought home two with a single, Crisp launched a three-run shot and Josh Donaldson added an RBI double.
In the third, Dozier singled and Plouffe walked ahead of a three-run homer from Arcia to bring Minnesota within 6-4, but Barton's two-out solo shot in the home half made it 7-4 for the A's.
Lowrie went deep in the fourth, and one inning later, Brandon Moss doubled and eventually came around on a Reddick sacrifice fly to center for a 9-4 edge.
Moss plated Sogard in the sixth with a sac fly to center to put Oakland in double digits, then Dozier's RBI single in the seventh made it 10-5.
Barton hit a one-out double in the home seventh and eventually scored on a Crisp single.
Oakland took six of seven meetings from Minnesota this season ... The Athletics have racked up 26 postseason appearances in franchise history, with only the Dodgers (27) and Yankees (51) with more in baseball annals ... This marks the fourth time the A's have won back-to-back division crowns (1971-75; 1988-90; 2002-03) since landing in the East Bay in 1968.
- MINNESOTA: 7
Sep 22 7:14 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia single to right scored Alex Presley and Brian Dozier. On the play, Oswaldo Arcia tagged out at first. None on with two outs and Josmil Pinto due up.
Twins 7, Athletics 11 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 22 7:14 PM
- Coco Crisp single to center scored Daric Barton. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 5, Athletics 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 22 6:39 PM
- Brian Dozier single to center scored Eric Fryer. Runner on first with one out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 5, Athletics 10 Top 7, 1 OutSep 22 6:26 PM
- Brandon Moss sacrifice fly to right scored Eric Sogard. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 6:19 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly to center scored Brandon Moss. None on with two outs and Daric Barton due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 5:56 PM
- Jed Lowrie two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Josh Donaldson due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 22 5:37 PM
- Daric Barton two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Stephen Vogt due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 22 5:19 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia one-out, three-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Brian Dozier and Trevor Plouffe. Josmil Pinto due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 6 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 5:08 PM
- Josh Donaldson double to center scored Jed Lowrie. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 4:56 PM
- Coco Crisp two-out, three-run Home Run (22) to right scored Stephen Vogt and Eric Sogard. Jed Lowrie due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 4:52 PM
- Eric Sogard single to short scored Josh Reddick and Daric Barton. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to third and Eric Sogard advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and Coco Crisp due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 4:51 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia single to center scored Alex Presley. Runner on first with two outs and Josmil Pinto due up.
Twins 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 4:18 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 4:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22