Lowrie, Moss power A's past AngelsSep 24, 2013 - 6:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jed Lowrie hit a three-run homer and Brandon Moss added a two-run shot as the Oakland Athletics cruised to a 10-5 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim on Monday.
Josh Reddick went 2-for-3 with an RBI, while Seth Smith, Eric Sogard and Alberto Callaspo each drove in a run for the A's, who hold a three-game lead over the Detroit Tigers for the second seed in the AL playoffs. The second seed will guarantee the A's home-field advantage in the AL Divisional Series.
Oakland is one game behind the Boston Red Sox for the AL's best record.
Tommy Milone (12-9) gave up five runs -- two earned -- on five hits over 5 1/3 innings to earn the win. Milone fanned eight and walked just one batter.
"They were patient tonight and getting ahead of them was important. I was able to keep the ball low. I feel a lot more comfortable, and my arm feels fresh. I just want to help the team," said Milone.
Howie Kendrick went 2-for-4 with a homer and four RBI and Mark Trumbo drove in a run for the Angels, who saw starter Garrett Richards (7-7) yield seven runs on eight hits in just 4 2/3 innings.
"Garrett had trouble putting pitches together. He got behind in counts. Two change ups he didn't get where they were planned and they went for homers. Things got away from him tonight," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Oakland pushed a pair of runs across in the second inning. Reddick singled with two outs then scored on Smith's double to center. Stephen Vogt followed with an RBI single to score Smith.
Kendrick led off the home half with a homer, but Lowrie answered with his three-run shot in the third to make it 5-1.
With the bases loaded in the bottom half, Kendrick ripped a three-run triple to center to pull the Halos within 5-4, but it would be as close as they would come the rest of the way.
Moss' two-run shot in the fifth made it a three-run game and Sogard added an RBI single in the sixth to make it 9-4.
Trumbo's sacrifice fly in the bottom the six brought LA within four, but Oakland scored two more in the ninth to put the game out of reach.
With the bases loaded, Callaspo smacked a single to right to score Coco Crisp and Reddick added a sacrifice fly to plate Donaldson.
Oakland was 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Moss' 28 homers are a career-high ... Lowrie (15) is one homer shy of tying his career-high ... Trumbo is one RBI shy of reaching 100 for the first time in his career.
- OAKLAND: 10
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 24 1:17 AM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly out to right scored Josh Donaldson with two outs. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 10, Angels 5 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 24 12:59 AM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Coco Crisp with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to second and Josh Donaldson advances to third. Bases loaded and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 9, Angels 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 24 12:56 AM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly out to right scored Josh Hamilton with two outs. None on and Chris Iannetta due up.
Athletics 8, Angels 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 24 12:16 AM
- Eric Sogard single to left scored Chris Young with one out. Runner on first and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 8, Angels 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 23 11:57 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, two-run Home Run (28) to right scored Jed Lowrie. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 7, Angels 4 Top 5, 1 OutSep 23 11:39 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to right scored Collin Cowgill, Erick Aybar and Kole Calhoun with two outs. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Athletics 5, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 23 11:13 PM
- Jed Lowrie none-out, three-run Home Run (15) to right center scored Coco Crisp and Josh Donaldson. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 5, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 23 10:50 PM
- Howie Kendrick lead-off Home Run (12) to left center. Josh Hamilton due up.
Athletics 2, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 23 10:36 PM
- Stephen Vogt single to right scored Seth Smith with two outs. On the play, Vogt advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 23 10:32 PM
- Seth Smith double to left center scored Josh Reddick with two outs. Runner on second and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 23 10:29 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22