Blue Jays knock O's out of playoff contentionSep 25, 2013 - 5:11 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Mark DeRosa hit a go-ahead RBI single in the 10th inning Tuesday after tying the game with one in the eighth, leading the Blue Jays to a 3-2 win over the Orioles and knocking Baltimore out of playoff contention.
"It always feels good to come through for the team," DeRosa said.
Baltimore's loss coupled with Cleveland's win over the White Sox left the O's six games behind the Indians for the second AL wild card slot with five games to play.
Jose Reyes scored the winning run on DeRosa's single after avoiding Francisco Rodriguez's pickoff attempt at second base.
The throw from Rodriguez (2-1) arrived in plenty of time, but Reyes appeared to avoid Brian Roberts' tag with a good slide.
Sergio Santos (1-1) threw a perfect ninth to earn the win for Toronto and Casey Janssen worked around a single in the 10th to earn his 34th save.
The Blue Jays snapped a two-game losing streak.
Chris Tillman had a career high-tying nine strikeouts for the fourth time in his last 10 starts and left with a 2-1 lead, but the Orioles couldn't hang on to get him his 17th win. He gave up one run, five hits and one walk in seven innings.
Todd Redmond gave up eight hits -- including back-to-back homers to Brian Roberts and Nate McLouth -- and two walks in 5 2/3 innings for the Blue Jays. He struck out two.
The Orioles arrived home after losing the last five games of a 10-game road trip but couldn't break out of their funk.
Their postseason hopes dashed, they can turn their focus on trying to post a winning record for the second season in a row after going 14 years without one. They are 81-76 -- one more win guarantees a winning season.
The Orioles played without injured third baseman Manny Machado, although the news on the All-Star wasn't all bad.
Machado was diagnosed with a torn knee ligament one day after being taken off the field on a stretcher and could possibly be back to running as early as six weeks.
His injury is apparently not as serious as it looked on Monday when he was carted off the field against the Rays after his left knee buckled when he stepped awkwardly on first base.
The Orioles announced Tuesday that Machado has a torn medial patellofemoral ligament -- not a more serious ACL or MCL tear. Estimated healing time for the injury is six to eight weeks, the team said.
After Reyes drew a one-out walk off Rodriguez and went to second on Munenori Kawasaki's single, he scampered back to second to avoid being picked off.
Orioles manager Buck Showalter argued the call, but said later he couldn't tell if it was correct or not.
"I've seen two or three replays," said Showalter. "I can't definitively tell from any of them. Gerry (Davis) is a veteran umpire."
Brett Lawrie then grounded into a fielder's choice -- Kawasaki was out at second -- before DeRosa delivered his single to right.
Earlier, the Blue Jays tied the game after Tillman came out. Reyes led off the eighth inning with a single off Kevin Gausman and later scored on DeRosa's bloop single to right field off Brian Matusz.
In the second inning, Ryan Goins' RBI infield single gave the Blue Jays a 1-0 lead but Roberts and McLouth went back-to-back in the third to put Baltimore on top.
Roberts hit his seventh home run of the season leading off and McLouth belted his 12th two pitches later.
Tillman had nine strikeouts against the Giants on Aug. 9 in San Francisco, and vs. the Athletics on Aug. 24 and Yankees on Sept. 9, both at home.
- TORONTO: 3
Sep 24 10:24 PM
- Mark DeRosa single to right scored Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 2 Top 10, 2 OutsSep 24 10:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark DeRosa single to right scored Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on first and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 24 9:28 PM
- Nate McLouth none-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 24 7:53 PM
- Brian Roberts lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Nate McLouth due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 24 7:51 PM
- Ryan Goins infield single to short, deflected by the pitcher, scored Adam Lind with two out. On the play, Anthony Gose advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kevin Pillar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 24 7:28 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22