Angels blank A'sSep 25, 2013 - 5:15 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jason Vargas tossed a shutout and Howie Kendrick homered as the LA Angels of Anaheim blanked the Oakland Athletics, 3-0, in the middle installment of a three-game set.
Vargas (9-7) allowed just four runs while striking out five for his second shutout of the season. The Angels have won 10 of their last 14 games overall.
"We made some defensive plays behind me," said Vargas. "I was able to control counts, which made my changeup more effective. Tonight was a good one."
Kendrick smoked his 13th home run of the season for LA while J.B. Shuck offered two hits and Josh Hamilton drove in a pair.
A.J. Griffin (14-10) struck out seven over five frames, but surrendered all three runs on five hits as Oakland's winning streak comes to a halt at five games.
With one away in the home half of the first, Kendrick hit a no-doubter to center field on an 0-1 Griffin offering.
The Angels put two more across in the third inning. Tommy Field and Shuck singled and Mike Trout walked to load the bases for Hamilton, who blooped a single in front of Chris Young in left field to plate two.
Vargas set the side down 1-2-3 in the third, fourth, fifth and sixth innings and faced the minimum in the second and seventh frames after yielding a single and then inducing a double-play.
"Jason pitched well," admitted A's manager Bob Melvin. "He used his changeup effectively. We always have a feeling we're going to have a big inning but we couldn't do it today."
Daric Barton walked to put a runner on in the ninth, but Vargas got Josh Donaldson to ground into a fielder's choice two end the contest.
"Jason's changeup was exceptional," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "He had a good angle on his fastball, and good fastball command. He knows what he's doing."
Donaldson's streak of reaching base in 28 straight games came to an end ... Jed Lowrie had two of Oakland's four hits ... The A's had won 11 of 13 ... Oakland is a game behind the Red Sox for best record in the majors.
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 25 12:25 AM
- Josh Hamilton single to left scored Tommy Field and J.B. Shuck with two outs. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 24 10:55 PM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, solo Home Run (13) to center. Mike Trout due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 24 10:20 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22