Hamilton, Halos top A's to win seriesSep 26, 2013 - 2:35 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver tossed seven strong innings and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim coasted to a 3-1 victory over Oakland in the rubber match of a three-game series.
"Personally, this was a tough one for me," said Weaver, who missed two months with a broken left elbow suffered in the first week of the season. "I've never been off for that long. But I told myself that I'd finish strong and I felt like I did that for the most part."
Josh Hamilton finished with two hits and two RBI for the Angels, who took the final two games in the set and have won five of their last seven overall.
Erick Aybar contributed three hits and scored a run for LA, which completed its home slate at 39-42.
Weaver (11-8) allowed five hits and one run to take the victory, and Ernesto Frieri tossed a scoreless ninth for his 37th save.
Jed Lowrie drove in the lone run and Josh Reddick added a pair of hits for the Athletics, who had won five in a row including Monday's series opener.
"We've been playing well," A's manager Bob Melvin said of his club, which hadn't dropped two in a row since Aug. 21-23. "We faced two pretty good pitchers the past two days and offensively didn't do what we have been doing. It felt like we were a little tired the past two days."
Dan Straily (10-8) lasted 6 2/3 frames and was charged with seven hits and three runs -- one earned -- while striking out five.
The Halos hit the scoreboard in the fourth, when Aybar singled, stole second, moved up on a groundout and scored on Hamilton's grounder to first.
LA picked up two more in the fifth. With runners on the corners and two down, Aybar's base hit made it 2-0, then, after a walk to Kole Calhoun loaded the bases, Hamilton's single to short brought in another run but the inning ended with Calhoun tagged out at third.
The whole scenario could have been avoided if A's first baseman Daric Barton had held onto the ball on Andrew Romine's sacrifice attempt. Chris Iannetta, who opened the frame with a walk, moved to second on the play.
Straily was strong otherwise, but Weaver out-performed his Oakland counterpart.
The visitors' only salvo came in the sixth, when Coco Crisp and Eric Sogard singled to put runners on the corners and a Lowrie fly to left plated Crisp.
Oakland went quietly in the seventh. Dane De La Rosa retired the side in order in the eighth, and Frieri stranded Reddick in the ninth by fanning Alberto Callaspo swinging.
Weaver improved to 8-1 with an sub-1 ERA over his last 11 starts against the A's ... The Angels complete their 2013 schedule with four games at Texas, while the Athletics play in Seattle in anticipation of postseason action as AL West champions ... Oakland won the season series with 11 victories in 19 matchups, including five of nine in Southern California ... Following the game, the both the Angels and Athletics let off some steam by engaging in the yearly "rookie dress up," where first-year players are required to do humorous costumes.
- OAKLAND: 1
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 25 6:09 PM
- Jed Lowrie sacrifice fly to left scored Coco Crisp with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 3 Top 6, 1 OutSep 25 5:03 PM
- Josh Hamilton infield single to short scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Kole Calhoun out at third to end the inning.
Athletics 0, Angels 3 End 5Sep 25 4:59 PM
- Erick Aybar single to center scored Andrew Romine with two out. On the play, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kole Calhoun due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 25 4:52 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded into a fielder's choice to first, scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 25 4:36 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 3:39 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22