Orioles down Blue JaysSep 26, 2013 - 5:17 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Jonathan Schoop homered in his major league debut Wednesday and the Baltimore Orioles snapped a six-game losing streak with a 9-5 win over the Toronto Blue Jays.
Schoop singled in his first MLB at-bat and hit a solo homer in his third.
"He didn't look particularly nervous," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "I was (nervous) for him."
The spark came a little late for the Orioles.
They got their first win in a week one day after being eliminated from playoff contention in a 3-2 loss in 10 innings to the Blue Jays. Wednesday's victory did guarantee the Orioles (82-76) their second winning season in a row after they went 14 years without one.
Ryan Flaherty hit a pair of two-run homers for Baltimore and Steve Pearce had a solo shot.
Orioles starter Bud Norris yielded three runs, seven hits and two walks in four innings with five strikeouts and T.J. McFarland (3-1) pitched an inning- plus for the win.
Esmil Rogers (5-9) was charged with six runs in 4 1/3 innings to take the loss. He gave up eight hits and a walk and struck out two.
Munenori Kawasaki and Josh Thole both had four hits for the Blue Jays.
The Orioles knocked Rogers out of the game during a three-run rally in the fifth inning.
Rogers came out after Nick Markakis' RBI single and Aaron Loup gave up a ground-rule double to Chris Davis to plate another run. Pearce was intentionally walked to load the bases and the third run scored on Jason Pridie's groundout, giving the Orioles a 6-3 lead.
"The first couple of innings he looked pretty good, and then they started hitting him around," Jays manager John Gibbons said of Rogers. "He was in some jams for most of the game, and then they opened it up there in the middle."
Toronto got a run back in the sixth, but Schoop put the Orioles on top 7-4 with a homer to center field off Kyle Drabek. Drabek walked Flaherty then was taken out after a Nate McLouth grounder hit him in the leg.
Flaherty hit a two-run homer off Ricky Romero in the eighth that also scored Schoop, who had walked.
Kevin Pillar hit an RBI double in the ninth off Danny Valencia for Toronto's last run.
Earlier, Jose Reyes hit an RBI single in the second inning for the Blue Jays. In the third, Anthony Gose hit an RBI triple and scored on Thole's single to make it 3-0 Toronto.
Schoop hit a second-pitch single in the third and scored on Flaherty's homer to right.
Pearce tied the game with a home run in the fourth, making it 3-3.
Flaherty hit his ninth and 10th homers of the season and Pearce his fourth others ... The Orioles avoided what would have been a season-worst seventh straight loss.
- TORONTO: 5
Sep 25 10:26 PM
- Kevin Pillar double to left scored Josh Thole with two out. Runner on second and Jose Reyes due up.
Blue Jays 5, Orioles 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 25 10:25 PM
- Ryan Flaherty none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (10) to left center scored Jonathan Schoop. Nate McLouth due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 25 10:12 PM
- Jonathan Schoop lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 25 9:15 PM
- Adam Lind grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Brett Lawrie out at second. On the play, Munenori Kawasaki advances to third. Runner on third and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 4, Orioles 6 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 25 9:11 PM
- Jason Pridie grounded out to first scored Nick Markakis with two out. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to second and Chris Davis advances to third. Runners on second and third and Steve Clevenger due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 25 8:57 PM
- Chris Davis ground-rule double to center scored J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on second and third and Steve Pearce due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 25 8:54 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to right, deflected by second, scored Ryan Flaherty with one out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Davis due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 25 8:51 PM
- Steve Pearce one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Jason Pridie due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 25 8:23 PM
- Ryan Flaherty one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Jonathan Schoop. Nate McLouth due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 25 8:04 PM
- Josh Thole single to left scored Anthony Gose with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Goins due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 25 7:57 PM
- Anthony Gose triple to right scored Brett Lawrie with two out. Runner on third and Josh Thole due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 25 7:56 PM
- Jose Reyes single to left scored Josh Thole with two out. On the play, Ryan Goins advances to second. Runners on first and second and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 25 7:37 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22