Indians fend off Twins, maintain hold on wild cardSep 27, 2013 - 6:29 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Yan Gomes went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer and two runs scored as the Cleveland Indians picked up their seventh straight victory with a 6-5 win over the Minnesota Twins in the opener of a four-game series.
Michael Brantley went 3-for-5 with two RBI for the Indians, who remained one game ahead of the Texas Rangers for the second AL wild-card spot. Carlos Santana also drove in a run.
Cleveland starter Zach McAllister tossed 4 1/3 scoreless innings. Bryan Shaw (7-3) pitched 1 2/3 spotless frames of relief to pick up the win.
Josmil Pinto hit a two-run homer during a four-run ninth for the Twins, who have dropped three in a row. Brian Dozier, Alex Presley and Ryan Doumit each had an RBI.
Minnesota starter Andrew Albers (2-5) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. The left-hander has lost his last five decisions.
Holding a 6-1 lead, the Indians sent Chris Perez to the mound in the ninth. Eduardo Escobar led off with a single to left, moved to second on defensive indifference and raced home on Presley's triple to right-center field.
The Twins plated another run when Dozier grounded out. Doumit singled and scored on Pinto's two-out homer to right. Joe Smith came in from the bullpen and put men on first and second. However, he got pinch-hitter Oswaldo Arcia to go down swinging for his third save.
Perez stopped by the office of Indians manager Terry Francona after the game to apologize for his performance.
"He felt bad. He was actually very team-oriented. That's what you're looking for," Francona said. "He's having a tough time, and he's owning up to it, and he doesn't want to cost us wins."
Cleveland scored three runs in the fourth to break a scoreless tie. Ryan Raburn singled to center and moved to second on a balk. Asdrubal Cabrera put down a sacrifice bunt and Albers' throwing error to first allowed a run to score. Gomes followed with a homer to left.
Brantley's RBI single in the sixth and Santana's run-scoring double in the seventh made it 5-0 Cleveland.
The Twins finally got on the board in the bottom of the seventh. Doumit's RBI single to center scored Presley, who was hit by a pitch earlier in the inning.
Brantley's RBI single in the eighth made it a 6-1 contest.
Cleveland improved to 10-6 versus the Twins this season ... The Twins were 2- for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12 ... The Indians will start Corey Kluber on Friday night against Pedro Hernandez.
- CLEVELAND: 6
Sep 26 11:41 PM
- Josmil Pinto two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Ryan Doumit. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Indians 6, Twins 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 26 11:31 PM
- Brian Dozier ground out third to first scored Alex Presley with one out. None on and Ryan Doumit due up.
Indians 6, Twins 3 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 26 11:28 PM
- Alex Presley triple to center scored Eduardo Escobar with none out. Runner on third and Brian Dozier due up.
Indians 6, Twins 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 26 11:26 PM
- Michael Brantley single to left scored Yan Gomes with one out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 6, Twins 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 26 10:58 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to center scored Alex Presley with two out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 5, Twins 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 26 10:44 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to right scored Jason Kipnis. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 26 10:24 PM
- Michael Brantley single to left scored Ryan Raburn with two out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to second and Yan Gomes advances to third. Bases loaded and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 26 10:02 PM
- Yan Gomes none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 26 9:15 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera hits a sacrifice bunt. On the play, Ryan Raburn scored on a Andrew Albers's throwing error with none out. Asdrubal Cabrera safe at first. Runner on first and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 26 9:15 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 8:12 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21