Red Sox crush O's thanks to explosive offenseSep 28, 2013 - 4:36 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Daniel Nava and David Ortiz each slugged a three-run homer, as Boston crushed Baltimore, 12-3, in the opener of a three- game season-ending series from Camden Yards.
Stephen Drew added two hits and drove in three, with Jonny Gomes hitting a solo shot for the Red Sox, who have taken five of seven.
Clay Buchholz (12-1) capped his season with seven effective innings, allowing seven hits and three runs while fanning four.
"It's a good stepping stone," Buchholz said. "I'm just glad the team could score all those runs. There wasn't a whole lot of stress in the outing today."
Adam Jones launched a two-run shot and Chris Davis contributed a homer for the Orioles, who have dropped seven of their last nine.
Scott Feldman (5-6) was tagged in defeat for eight hits and as many runs over just 2 1/3 frames.
"It would've been nice to finish up a little stronger heading to the offseason coming off a good game," Feldman said. "But the bottom line is, we all, everybody in here, wanted to make the playoffs and we didn't do it. Hopefully next year we'll get in there."
Boston took control early on, picking up five runs in the first inning on Napoli's RBI double, followed by Nava's three-run blast and a run-scoring triple by Drew.
The visitors went up 8-0 in the third courtesy of an RBI single from Jarrod Saltalamacchia and two-run hit by Drew.
Baltimore finally countered in the home half as Brian Roberts singled with one out and scored on Jones' two-out, two-run shot to center.
Davis added to his franchise record by hitting number 53 in the bottom of the sixth to draw the O's within five, but the Sox assumed an eight-run margin in the eighth on a three-run homer by Ortiz.
Gomes began the ninth with a solo shot to increase Boston's advantage to nine and capped the scoring.
Baltimore still owns a 9-8 edge in the season series ... Ortiz reached the 30- homer plateau for the seventh time in his career and for the first time since going deep 32 times in 2010 ... Gomes totaled three hits and scored three times, while Dustin Pedroia also hit safely three times and crossed home twice for the Red Sox.
- BOSTON: 12
Sep 27 10:26 PM
- Jonny Gomes lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 12, Orioles 3 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 27 10:11 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, three-run Home Run (30) to left scored Jackie Bradley Jr. and Dustin Pedroia. Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 11, Orioles 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 27 9:47 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (53) to center. Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 8, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 27 9:11 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (33) to center scored Brian Roberts. Chris Davis due up.
Red Sox 8, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 27 8:22 PM
- Stephen Drew single to center scored Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. On the play, Stephen Drew tagged out at second. None on and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 8, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 27 8:13 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia double to right scored Daniel Nava with one out. On the play, Jonny Gomes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 27 8:09 PM
- Stephen Drew triple to right scored Jonny Gomes with two outs. Runner on third and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 5, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 27 7:22 PM
- Daniel Nava one-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right scored David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 7:15 PM
- Mike Napoli double to right center scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 7:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21