Indians club Twins, roll to eight straight winSep 28, 2013 - 6:13 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Jason Kipnis went 3-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored as the Cleveland Indians took a 12-6 win over the Minnesota Twins on Friday.
The win moved the Indians into a tie with the Rays for the top wild card spot, as Tampa lost to Toronto on Friday.
Drew Stubbs hit a two-run home run and scored three times, while Asdrubal Cabrera had three hits, an RBI and two runs scored for the Indians, who have won eight games in a row.
"I just want to keep playing. I don't want to go home. I don't care where we play, when we play, I just want to keep playing," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "I should just sit here and stay in my uniform because I'm probably not going to sleep a heck of a lot."
Corey Kluber (11-5) gave up all six runs along with 10 hits and a walk over 5 1/3 innings.
Pedro Florimon hit a two-run home run and drove in three for the Twins, who have dropped four straight and eight of nine. Pedro Hernandez (3-3) gave up six runs on seven hits in just 1 2/3 innings to take the loss.
"He just had a bad night," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "They were all over him right from the get-go. Kind of non-stop."
It was all Cleveland in the first two innings as the team crossed the plate seven times to take command.
With one out in the first, Nick Swisher doubled and Kipnis followed with a triple before scoring on Carlos Santana's double. Cabrera brought home Santana with a double and score on Yan Gomes' single for a 4-0 lead.
In the second, a double-play from Swisher scored Stubbs, and Ryan Raburn hit a two-run single later in the inning for a 7-0 lead.
The Twins got a run back in the fourth on Trevor Plouffe's RBI single, but Mike Aviles' two-run single in the fifth made it a 9-1 game.
Florimon's two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth cut the deficit to six, and it was a 9-6 game after six innings as Florimon knocked in a run on a groundout and Alex Presley hit a two-run single.
Kipnis, though, doubled home a run in the eighth and Stubbs' two-run home run in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Cleveland has won 11 of the 17 games against Minnesota this season ... The Indians were 7-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Kluber went 4-0 over five starts in September.
- CLEVELAND: 12
Sep 27 11:46 PM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Mike Aviles. Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 12, Twins 6 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 27 11:32 PM
- Jason Kipnis double to center scored Drew Stubbs with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 10, Twins 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 27 11:05 PM
- Alex Presley single to left scored Chris Parmelee and Darin Mastroianni with two out. Runner on first and Brian Dozier due up.
Indians 9, Twins 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 27 10:36 PM
- Pedro Florimon ground out first to pitcher scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. On the play, Darin Mastroianni advances to second and Chris Parmelee advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alex Presley due up.
Indians 9, Twins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 27 10:35 PM
- Pedro Florimon none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Darin Mastroianni. Alex Presley due up.
Indians 9, Twins 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 27 10:06 PM
- Mike Aviles single to right scored Carlos Santana and Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 9, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 27 10:00 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to left scored Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Josmil Pinto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Parmelee due up.
Indians 7, Twins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 27 9:36 PM
- Ryan Raburn single to center scored Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana with two out. Runner on first and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 7, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 27 8:56 PM
- Nick Swisher grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored Drew Stubbs with two out. Michael Brantley out at second. None on and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 27 8:44 PM
- Yan Gomes single to right scored Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 27 8:29 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to center scored Carlos Santana with two out. Runner on second and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 27 8:27 PM
- Carlos Santana double to center scored Jason Kipnis with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 8:22 PM
- Jason Kipnis triple to center scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runner on third and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 8:19 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 8:15 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21