Moss, Morris carry A's past MarinersSep 28, 2013 - 6:52 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss hit a three-run homer and Derek Norris added a two-run shot and three RBI to lead the Oakland Athletics to an 8-2 rout of the Seattle Mariners.
Josh Donaldson and Daric Barton also drove in one run apiece for the Athletics, who are two games behind the Boston Red Sox for the top spot in American League.
Bartolo Colon (18-6) allowed a pair of solo home runs and struck out eight over six innings to pick up the win.
"He's been phenomenal. He had that stretch that stood out because of how good he has been all year. He had that break and seemed like he came back rejuvenated and is back to throwing the ball the way he has," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
Franklin Gutierrez and Kendrys Morales each clubbed solo homers for the Mariners.
Felix Hernandez (12-10) gave up Moss' three-run homer among five hits over six innings to absorb his fifth loss in as many decisions. He fanned six and walked just one in the setback.
Earlier on Thursday, Seattle Mariners will have a new manager when they take the field next season.
On Friday, Mariners manager Eric Wedge notified the club that he will not be back at the helm for 2014.
"I accept Eric's decision not to return and thank him for his hard work here the past three years. I want to wish him and his family all the best in the future," said Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik.
The 45-year-old has compiled a 212-271 record in Seattle in almost three full seasons, including a 70-89 record heading into a season-ending three-game series with the Oakland Athletics.
Wedge was sidelined in late July after suffering a stroke, during which time bench coach Robby Thompson took over as skipper.
Moss crushed his three-run homer in the first inning. Coco Crisp led off with a double and Jed Lowrie singled to set the table for Moss, who clobbered his 29th homer of the season over the wall in right.
Gutierrez slugged his solo shot in the home half to make it a two-run game before Morales cracked his solo shot in the sixth to pull the Mariners within 3-2.
It was all Oakland from there, however, as the A's plated three in the seventh and two in the eighth to make it 8-2.
After Josh Reddick walked, Norris hammered a two-run, pinch-hit homer to left field. Donaldson added an RBI groundout later in the frame.
In the eighth, Chris Young walked, stole second then scored on Norris' double to left. Barton followed with an RBI single to left to make it a six-run game.
A's outfielder Yoenis Cespedes left the game in the fourth inning with shoulder stiffness ... Oakland leads the Detroit Tigers by two games for the second seed in the AL playoffs ... The A's were 4-for-10 with runners ins coring position ... Young has nine stolen bases this season ... Seattle was 0-for-3 with RISP ... Hernandez hasn't won since Aug. 11.
- OAKLAND: 8
Sep 28 1:17 AM
- Daric Barton single to left scored Derek Norris with two out. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 8, Mariners 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 28 12:45 AM
- Derek Norris double to left scored Chris Young with two out. Runner on second and Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 7, Mariners 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 28 12:44 AM
- Josh Donaldson ground out third to first scored Daric Barton with two out. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 6, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 28 12:18 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Derek Norris none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Josh Reddick. Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 5, Mariners 2 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 28 12:04 AM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, solo Home Run (23) to right. Raul Ibanez due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 27 11:55 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Kyle Seager due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 27 10:32 PM
- Brandon Moss one-out, three-run Home Run (29) to right scored Coco Crisp and Jed Lowrie. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 10:21 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 10:12 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21