Goins, Pillar help Blue Jays down RaysSep 29, 2013 - 5:11 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Ryan Goins and Kevin Pillar both smacked two- run homers to help lift the Toronto Blue Jays to a 7-2 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays in the middle test of a three-game set.
Adam Lind went 2-for-3 while driving in three runs for the Blue Jays, who have won two in a row.
Toronto starter J.A. Happ (5-7) surrendered one run on five hits across 7 1/3 innings. The left-hander struck out four to earn his first win in his last four starts.
Wil Myers and Delmon Young each had an RBI for the Rays, who have dropped two of their last three.
Starting pitcher Chris Archer lasted only 2 1/3 innings, while Alex Torres (4-2) gave up two runs in the fourth to pick up the loss.
Tampa Bay is now tied with Texas for the second wild card spot in the American League.
"We've been here before. We've been in these moments. We never do things seemingly easily. So let's just play tomorrow and see what happens," said Rays manager Joe Maddon.
The Rays took the lead in the first. Ben Zobrist led off with a double to center and moved over to third after Sean Rodriguez flied out. Myers stroked a single out to left off third baseman Brett Lawrie to bring Zobrist home.
Jose Reyes singled on a sharp ground ball that was deflected by Archer. Brett Lawrie singled on a line drive out to right to move Reyes over to third with no outs. Lind tied the game with a single to right that scored Reyes.
Toronto loaded the bases in the fourth. Torres gave up singles to Ryan Langerhans and Pillar before being replaced by Jamey Wright. Wright served up a walk to Lawrie before Lind plated the baserunners with a single out to left.
Two home runs helped give the Blue Jays a 7-1 edge in the fifth. Anthony Gose singled and stole second before Goins drove him in with a line drive into the left field seats. Langerhans reached first on a groundball and stole second before Pillar homered out to left.
The Rays only mustered one more run. Myers drove a line drive into center for a ground-rule double, moved over to third on a fly out from Longoria, and scored on a Young groundout.
"We haven't been winning a lot of games necessarily, but we've been playing some good games. It's a good way to finish it, we'd like to come back and get one more win tomorrow, and that's what it's all about," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons.
Tampa Bay leads the season series 10-8 ... Zobrist extended his hitting streak to six games, while Goins has registered a hit in nine straight ... Tampa Bay went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Sep 28 4:25 PM
- Delmon Young ground out, short to first, scored Wil Myers with two outs. None on and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 7 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 28 4:23 PM
- Kevin Pillar one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Ryan Langerhans. Jose Reyes due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 28 3:12 PM
- Ryan Goins none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Anthony Gose. Ryan Langerhans due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 28 3:01 PM
- Adam Lind single to left scored Ryan Langerhans and Kevin Pillar with two outs. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to third. Runners on first and third and Moises Sierra due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 28 2:46 PM
- Adam Lind single to right scored Jose Reyes with none out. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Moises Sierra due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 28 2:09 PM
- Wil Myers singled to left scoring Ben Zobrist with one out. Runner on first with one out and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 28 1:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 1:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21