O's win, but BoSox secure top seed in ALSep 29, 2013 - 3:49 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Steve Pearce delivered a go-ahead two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning to lift the Baltimore Orioles to a 6-5 victory over the Boston Red Sox in the second tilt of a three-game set at Camden Yards.
Despite the loss, Boston secured the top seed in the AL and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs after Oakland lost in Seattle earlier on Saturday.
"We would have liked this game to finish up a little bit differently, but to know going into the postseason that for every series that we go into with that home-field advantage, being able to play in front of Fenway fans and how comfortable and successful we've been at home, this is a good thing," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
Pearce finished with three RBI and Brian Roberts added a solo homer for the Orioles, who have won three of their last four games.
"He's a pro, that's why every body respects him so much," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of Pearce. "He's always willing to do what's best for the team."
Kevin Gausman (3-5) spun 1 1/3 flawless innings in relief to pick up the win, while Jim Johnson worked around a two-out single in the ninth to nail down his 49th save of the season.
David Ross drove in two runs and Dustin Pedroia collected three hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Red Sox, who will host the winner of Wednesday's AL Wild Card Game in Game 1 of the ALDS.
Junichi Tazawa (5-4) was tagged with the loss after serving up back-to-back singles prior to Pearce's go-ahead double.
Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava stroked back-to-back run-scoring singles in the seventh to give Boston a 5-4 edge, but Matt Wieters and Danny Valencia opened the home half of the eighth with consecutive base hits off Tazawa.
Franklin Morales entered from the bullpen and fanned Nick Markakis, but Pearce cleared the bases with a double to left to put the O's in front for good.
Early on, Pearce provided the home team with a 1-0 lead with an RBI double in the second before Roberts led off the third with a blast to left.
Roberts misplayed a Ross pop up in the fourth that allowed Boston to trim the margin in half before Pedroia punched a single up the middle in the fifth to score Stephen Drew, who doubled in front of Pedroia's base hit.
Wieters and Valencia laced back-to-back RBI singles in the home half to restore Baltimore's one-run edge, but Ross ripped a run-scoring double with one out in the sixth to even the score.
The Orioles have a 10-8 edge on the Red Sox this season ... Boston starter Jon Lester allowed four runs on nine hits and two walks over five frames ... Wei- Yin Chen made the start for Baltimore and was charged for three runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings ... Boston went 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- BOSTON: 5
Sep 28 10:27 PM
- Steve Pearce double to left scored Nate McLouth and Danny Valencia with one out. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with one out and Jason Pridie due up.
Red Sox 5, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 28 10:09 PM
- Daniel Nava single to left scored Dustin Pedroia with two out. On the play, Jason Pridie's fielding error, Jonny Gomes thrown out at third. Runner on first with two out and Brandon Snyder due up.
Red Sox 5, Orioles 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 28 9:34 PM
- Jonny Gomes single to left scored Stephen Drew with one out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 28 9:26 PM
- David Ross double to left scored Daniel Nava with one out. Runner on second and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 4 Top 6, 1 OutSep 28 9:03 PM
- Danny Valencia single to left scored Adam Jones with one out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 28 8:53 PM
- Matt Wieters single to left scored J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third and Danny Valencia due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 28 8:52 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to center scored Stephen Drew with one out. Runner on second and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 2 Top 5, 1 OutSep 28 8:41 PM
- David Ross single to second scored Jonny Gomes with two out. On the play, Daniel Nava advances to third. Runners on first and third and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 28 8:23 PM
- Brian Roberts lead-off Home Run (8) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 28 7:57 PM
- Steve Pearce double to right scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runner on second and Jason Pridie due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 28 7:45 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21