Rangers post needed win over mistake-prone AngelsSep 29, 2013 - 5:06 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - The Texas Rangers kept their playoff hopes alive with a 7-4 victory over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the third test of a four-game series Saturday.
The Rangers are tied with Tampa Bay for the second AL wild-card spot, one game behind Cleveland. The Rays lost to the Blue Jays on Saturday and the Indians beat the Twins.
Alex Rios, A.J. Pierzynski and Craig Gentry each had an RBI for Texas, which has won six in a row.
"All this is great, and all this is fun and all this won't matter if we don't win tomorrow," Pierzynski said. "We still got to win tomorrow. That's the biggest thing. To get through today, especially with the weather coming on and an 11 a.m. kickoff, it was good."
Derek Holland got the start for the Rangers and allowed four runs on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings. Joakim Soria (1-0) tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win.
Mike Trout knocked in two runs for the Angels, who committed five errors. Howie Kendrick and Collin Cowgill added an RBI apiece.
Angels starter Garrett Richards (7-8) gave up six runs -- three earned -- on six hits over 4 1/3 innings.
"We're going to try to come back tomorrow and beat these guys, and hopefully end the year on a positive note," said Richards.
Each team scored once in the first inning. Erick Aybar led off the game with a double to center, moved to third on Cowgill's groundout and crossed the plate on Trout's sacrifice fly.
In the bottom of the first, Ian Kinsler led off with a single to left. He moved to second on a wild pitch and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. Rios followed with a routine grounder to third baseman Andrew Romine, whose fielding error allowed Kinsler to score.
The Rangers tacked on four more runs in the second. Gentry doubled and David Murphy walked to get things started. The runners moved up one base on a sacrifice bunt. Kinsler hit a line drive that deflected off Richards, whose throwing error to first allowed a run to score. Elvis Andrus followed with an RBI single to shallow left field, and Aybar's throwing error put men on second and third. Rios' sacrifice fly and a wild pitch allowed two more runs to score.
The Angels got one run back in the third. Aybar doubled to left-center field, moved to third on Cowgill's single and scored on Trout's sacrifice fly.
Los Angeles plated two more runs in the fifth. Romine singled, advanced to third on Aybar's double and scored on Cowgill's groundout. Kendrick's RBI double cut the gap to 5-4.
Texas, however, responded with two runs in the bottom half. Rios doubled and moved to third on Adrian Beltre's groundout. Buddy Boshers came in from the bullpen and gave up an RBI single to Pierzynski. Mitch Moreland also singled before Robert Coello took over on the mound. Gentry twisted his right ankle on a bunt single, which scored Pierzynski.
Robbie Ross, Tanner Scheppers and Joe Nathan each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the victory for Texas. Nathan stranded runners on first and second in the ninth for his 43rd save.
Texas is 14-4 versus the Angels this season ... Saturday's game was originally scheduled for 7:05 p.m. CT, but a threat of inclement weather forced officials to move the start time of the third portion of this set ... The Rangers have won seven in a row versus the Angels in Arlington ... Aybar had three doubles.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Sep 28 3:25 PM
- Craig Gentry bunt singled to pitcher scoring A.J. Pierzynski. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and David Murphy due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 28 2:01 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski singled to left scoing Alex Rios. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second on Collin Cowgill's fielding error. Runner on second with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 28 1:57 PM
- Howie Kendrick doubled to right scoring Erick Aybar. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 5 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 28 1:41 PM
- Collin Cowgill grounded out short to first scoring Andrew Romine. Runner on second with one out and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 5 Top 5, 1 OutSep 28 1:38 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly out to left scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 5 Top 3, 1 OutSep 28 1:08 PM
- Elvis Andrus scored on a Garret Richards wild pitch. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre at the plate.
Angels 1, Rangers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 28 12:59 PM
- Alex Rios sacrifice fly out to center scoring Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 28 12:58 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to short scoring David Murphy. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to second and an Kinsler advances to third on Erick Aybar's throwing error. Runners on second and third with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 28 12:57 PM
- Ian Kinsler reached first on Garrett Richards's throwing error scoring Craig Gentry. Runners on first and second with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 28 12:53 PM
- Alex Rios reached first on Andrew Romine's fielding error scoring Ian Kinsler. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 28 12:24 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly out to center scored Erick Aybar. None on with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 28 12:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 12:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22