Indians win 10th straight to secure wild card berthSep 30, 2013 - 1:17 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - With 10 straight wins to end the season, the Cleveland Indians could be a team other American League clubs want to avoid in the playoffs.
The Indians secured themselves a home postseason game following a 5-1 win over the Minnesota Twins on the final day of the regular season.
Nick Swisher belted a two-run homer in the opening inning and Ubaldo Jimenez struck out 13 over 6 2/3 frames, as Cleveland (92-70) clinched the top wild card spot and a Wednesday night home contest against either the Tampa Bay Rays or Texas Rangers. Those teams will face each other in a one-game tiebreaker in Arlington Monday night. The winner of Wednesday's contest will face the Boston Red Sox in the ALDS.
"It's like the culmination of everything that you've gone through, all the ups and downs," Indians manager Terry Francona said of making the playoffs. "You see guys from different countries, different upbringings, and they're jumping on the pile and it's just pure joy."
The Indians, who went from 94 losses in 2012 to a playoff team for the first time since 2007, swept the four-game series from the Twins. On Sunday, they became the first team to sweep seven four-game series in a single season since the 1943 St. Louis Cardinals.
Jimenez (13-9) allowed five hits and a run.
Scott Diamond (6-13) surrendered seven hits and four runs -- two earned -- over six frames for the Twins. Minnesota (66-96), which had five hits, lost its final six contests.
"We all know it was a tough year...not a good one at all," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said. "A few good things happened with some individuals stepping up and performing, but it was not a good year."
Swisher's homer barely cleared the wall in left with Michael Bourn aboard.
The Indians tacked on two runs in the sixth, helped by two errors. Carlos Santana reached safely on Pedro Florimon's throwing gaffe. After Ryan Raburn singled to right, Asdrubal Cabrera put down a bunt in front of the plate. Diamond, though, threw the ball into right field to create a three-run margin. Yan Gomes' sacrifice fly made it 4-0.
Santana's double to right scored Jason Kipnis in the seventh before the Twins got their only run in the bottom half on Eric Fryer's RBI single.
Diamond lost seven of his last eight decisions ... The Indians matched their 10-game winning streak from Aug. 17-27 ... Cleveland is just the sixth MLB team in the modern era (since 1900) to end a season with at least 10 straight wins ... Jimenez has allowed three earned runs or less in 13 straight starts dating back to his first start of the second half on July 22 ... Cleveland went 13-6 versus the Twins this season.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Sep 29 5:04 PM
- Eric Fryer single to center scored Chris Herrmann with two outs. On the play, Clete Thomas advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pedro Florimon due up.
Indians 5, Twins 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 29 4:21 PM
- Carlos Santana double to right scored Jason Kipnis with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 7, 1 OutSep 29 4:08 PM
- Yan Gomes sacrifice fly out to left scored Ryan Raburn with two outs. Runner on first and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 29 3:42 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera sacrifice bunt, reached first on Scott Diamond's throwing error scored Carlos Santana with none out. On the play, Ryan Raburn advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 29 3:39 PM
- Nick Swisher none-out, two-run Home Run (22) to left scored Michael Bourn. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 29 2:19 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 2:14 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21