A's rout M's to finish regular seasonSep 30, 2013 - 1:04 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seth Smith went 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored as the Oakland Athletics took a 9-0 win over the Seattle Mariners in the final regular season game.
Chris Young and Daric Barton each drove in two runs for the AL West champion Athletics (96-66), who will host Detroit on Friday when the Division Series starts.
"It's definitely going to be a challenge, but we're looking forward to going to the postseason and playing those guys," Oakland third baseman Josh Donaldson said of facing the Tigers.
Sonny Gray (5-3) won his final three decisions of the season and gave up three hits and three walks with eight strikeouts over five innings on Sunday.
Erasmo Ramirez (5-3) gave up four runs on three hits over 1 1/3 innings to take the loss for the Mariners (71-91), who finished in fourth place in the AL West.
"It was a tough year for us," Seattle third baseman Kyle Seager said. "We obviously didn't do what we wanted to do."
Oakland jumped on top in the second inning as Young brought home two runs with a single, Smith followed with an RBI double, and Brandon Moss later hit an RBI double for a 4-0 lead.
The A's doubled their advantage in the fifth inning. Alberto Callaspo drove in a run with the single and Josh Reddick doubled home a run. Barton's two run single after Bobby LaFromboise took the mound gave the team an 8-0 lead.
Oakland added another run in the ninth on Andy Parrino's RBI double.
Seattle won 11 of the 19 games against Oakland this season ... Seattle went 0- for-5 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... Oakland has won the AL West the past two seasons.
- OAKLAND: 9
Sep 29 7:19 PM
- Andy Parrino doubled to right scoring Seth Smith with two outs. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 9, Mariners 0 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 29 7:08 PM
- Daric Barton singled to right scoring Alberto Callaspo and Josh Reddick with one out. Runner on first with one out and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 8, Mariners 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 29 6:02 PM
- Josh Reddick doubled to right scoring Stephen Vogt with none out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 6, Mariners 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 29 5:52 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to center scoring Jemile Weeks with none out. On the play, Stephen Vogt advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 5, Mariners 0 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 29 5:51 PM
- Brandon Moss doubled to right scoring Seth Smith with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 4, Mariners 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 29 4:57 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to left scoring Chris Young with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 29 4:50 PM
- Chris Young singled to center scoring Derek Norris and Daric Barton with one out. Runner on first with one out and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 29 4:49 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 4:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21