Nationals complete sweep of MarlinsApr 5, 2013 - 2:48 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jayson Werth hit a three-run homer and scored twice as the Washington Nationals beat the Miami Marlins, 6-1, to complete a three-game sweep.
Ryan Zimmerman went 3-for-3 with two RBI for the Nationals, who had never swept their initial series of a season. Bryce Harper went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
Jordan Zimmermann (1-0) gave up one run on eight hits over six innings to pick up the win. The right-hander went 12-8 with a 2.94 ERA in 32 games last season.
"Every game's a big game, and we've had trouble with the Marlins no matter what -- not just last year, but through the years," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. "No matter what they've put out there, we've had trouble with them. So it was good to spank them this series."
Justin Ruggiano hit a homer for the Marlins, who were outscored by an 11-1 margin in the series. Wade LeBlanc (0-1) got the start and allowed three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over five innings.
The Nationals scored all the runs they would need in the first inning. With one out, Werth and Harper hit consecutive singles. Zimmerman followed with a two-run double off the wall in center.
Miami's lone run of the series came in the second. Ruggiano led off the frame with a blast to right, cutting the gap to 2-1.
Washington got the run back in the third after Denard Span reached first on a bunt single, moved to second on LeBlanc's throwing error and scored on Harper's single to right.
Werth's homer in the seventh gave the Nationals some breathing room. Wilson Ramos singled, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and advanced to third on Mike Dunn's wild pitch. Span walked to put men on the corners for Werth, who cleared the wall in left-center field.
"That's what happens with young teams; you almost have to play perfect out there," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "If we give them extra outs or extra opportunities, they're going to take advantage of it. They were able to do that today."
Henry Rodriguez, Tyler Clippard and Craig Stammen each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the victory.
The Nationals signed pitcher Chris Young to a minor league deal on Thursday ... Harper has now hit safely in a career-high 12 straight games dating to Sept. 24 of last season ... The Marlins plan to put first baseman Casey Kotchman on the 15-day disabled list on Friday with a strained left hamstring ... Miami went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight.
- MIAMI: 1
Apr 4 6:40 PM
- Jayson Werth one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Wilson Ramos and Denard Span. Bryce Harper due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 4 6:15 PM
- Bryce Harper single to right scored Denard Span with one out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to second on Giancarlo Stanton's throwing error. Runner on second and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 4 4:59 PM
- Justin Ruggiano lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 2 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 4 4:26 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to left center scored Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper with one out. Runner on second and Adam LaRoche due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 4 4:22 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 4 4:05 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21