Reds swat 6 HRs, score 15 runs in rout of NatsApr 6, 2013 - 2:59 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Todd Frazier and Zack Cozart each hit two homers and the Cincinnati Reds smacked six home runs in a 15-0 rout of the Washington Nationals in the opener of a three-game series.
Frazier went 4-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored for the Reds, who had 19 hits. Cozart knocked in five runs, Xavier Paul hit a grand slam and Shin- Soo Choo added a solo homer.
Homer Bailey (1-0) gave up just two hits over six scoreless innings for Cincinnati, which has won three in a row. The right-hander, who fanned six and walked three, went 13-10 with a 3.68 ERA in 33 starts last season.
Dan Haren (0-1) got rocked in his Nationals debut, allowing six runs on nine hits over four innings. The right-hander, who gave up four homers, went 12-13 with a 4.33 ERA in 30 starts with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim last season.
Washington was hoping to build off a three-game sweep of the Marlins.
Cincinnati's home run parade got started in the second. Frazier and Cozart hit back-to-back blasts with one out. Frazier's found the upper deck in left, while Cozart's homer just cleared the wall in left.
Cozart added a three-run homer during Cincinnati's next at bat. Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips started the frame with consecutive singles. Haren retired the next two batters before Cozart smacked his offering over the wall in left, making it 5-0.
Choo's solo blast to right-center field in the fourth made it 6-0.
Cozart continued his big night in the fifth. Zach Duke gave up a one-out single to Frazier, who stole second and advanced to third on catcher Kurt Suzuki's throwing error. Cozart followed with a sacrifice fly.
Bailey got out of minor jams in the third and fifth, with the Nationals stranding men on first and second in each inning.
The Reds turned the game into a laugher with a seven-run seventh. After Jay Bruce hit an RBI double, Frazier cleared the wall in right to make it 10-0. Cincinnati loaded the bases with two outs later in the inning. Paul stepped to the plate as a pinch-hitter and launched a grand slam -- the first of his career.
Frazier added an RBI single in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Washington won five of seven games against the Reds in 2012, including two of three in Cincinnati ... Haren signed a one-year deal with the Nationals in the offseason for $13 million ... Duke gave up six runs -- five earned -- on six hits over 2 2/3 innings.
- WASHINGTON: 0
Apr 5 10:19 PM
- Todd Frazier single to right scored Jay Bruce with none out. Runner on first and Zack Cozart due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 15 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 5 10:04 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Xavier Paul two-out, Grand Slam (1) to right scored Devin Mesoraco, Manny Parra and Shin-Soo Choo. Joey Votto due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 14 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 5 9:41 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to right scored Jay Bruce. Zack Cozart due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 10 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 5 9:29 PM
- Jay Bruce double to left center scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on second and Todd Frazier due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 5 9:25 PM
- Zack Cozart sacrifice fly to right scored Todd Frazier with two out. None on and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 5 8:56 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Chris Heisey due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 6 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 5 8:28 PM
- Zack Cozart two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 5 8:12 PM
- Zack Cozart one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 5 7:37 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Zack Cozart due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 5 7:36 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 5 7:11 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21