Buck, Mets down MarlinsApr 6, 2013 - 11:08 PM
"Last year, if something could go wrong, it went wrong. And then I tried harder to fix it," Buck said about his 2012 season with the Marlins. "It was a lot of stuff just piling up that I couldn't get right."
David Wright finished 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored, while Collin Cowgill added a solo homer for the Mets, who snapped a two-game slide.
Josh Edgin (1-0) recorded the final out of the top of the seventh for the win.
Greg Dobbs totaled two hits and drove in two runs for the Marlins, who couldn't maintain momentum from a 7-5 win in Friday's series opener.
Ryan Webb (0-1) was charged with the defeat after giving up three runs (two earned) and two hits with two walks over 1 2/3 relief frames.
New York picked up three runs in the home seventh to take a 6-3 lead.
Mike Baxter walked with one down, stole second and scored on a Daniel Murphy triple, then Wright added a single to plate Murphy for a two-run spread. Wright stole second ahead of an intentional walk to Ike Davis, then Buck's fly to right brought in Wright for a three-run edge.
Cowgill's two-out solo homer in the eighth made it 7-3 for the hosts, and Bobby Parnell retired the side in order in the ninth.
Dobbs' two-out single pushed across a Miami run in the top of the first, but the Mets countered in the home half on a sac fly from Buck.
Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada's bad throw to first on a potential double-play grounder from Dobbs in the fifth scored Placido Polanco to give the Fish a 2-1 edge. Polanco singled with one down and advanced on a Giancarlo Stanton base hit.
In the sixth, Wright and Davis hit consecutive one-out singles and Buck doubled both home for a 3-2 Mets' edge.
Dobbs drove in Juan Pierre to tie the score in the seventh, but was called out by home plate umpire Jim Joyce after he ruled Pierre interfered with Buck as he tried to throw to second to erase Dobbs.
"I've been watching the game for 42 years at this level and never saw anything like it before," said Mets manager Terry Collins.
Mets starter Jon Niese allowed eight hits and one earned run over his six- inning start, while counterpart Ricky Nolasco exited after 5 1/3 frames having given up six hits and three runs with three walks and as many strikeouts.
- MIAMI: 3
NEW YORK: 7
Apr 6 4:10 PM
- Collin Cowgill two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Mike Baxter due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 6 4:01 PM
- John Buck sacrifice fly out to right scored David Wright. On the play, Ike Davis advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 6 3:41 PM
- David Wright singled to right scoring Daniel Murphy. Runner on first with one out and Ike Davis due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 6 3:35 PM
- Daniel Murphy tripled to center scoring Mike Baxter. Runner on third with one out and David Wright due up.
Marlins 3, Mets 4 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 6 3:34 PM
- Greg Dobbs singled to right scoring Juan Pierre. On the play, Dobbs is out at second on Juan Pierre's interference to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Mets 3 Mid 7Apr 6 3:25 PM
- John Buck doubled to left scoring David Wright and Ike Davis. Runner on second with one out and Lucas Duda due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 3 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 6 3:01 PM
- Greg Dobbs grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Giancarlo Stanton out at second. On the play, Ruben Tejada's throwing error scored Placido Polanco. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 6 2:32 PM
- John Buck sacrifice fly out to right scored Mike Baxter. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 6 1:33 PM
- Greg Dobbs singled to left scoring Juan Pierre. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 6 1:17 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 6 1:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21