Cuddyer carries Colorado in win over PadresApr 7, 2013 - 5:25 AM
Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki had an RBI apiece for the Rockies, who saw starter Jon Garland (1-0) allow two runs on five hits over six innings. Rafael Betancourt pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his third save of the season.
"It was another great start from one of our starting pitchers. That is a lot to be proud of for Jon right there after being away from pitching for that long and to go out there and pitch like that," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Jedd Gyorko drove in two runs and Alexi Amarista had an RBI for the Padres. Starter Tyson Ross (0-1) needed 96 pitches to get through four-plus innings and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on three hits and four walks.
"The first inning put him behind the eight ball in pitch count. The third and fourth were pretty clean, but in the fifth I noticed the velocity was coming down a bit and knew it was time to make a move," Padres manager Bud Black said.
In the first, Cuddyer hit a two-out single into right, scoring Josh Rutledge.
The Padres got their first score in the fourth. After a leadoff double by Carlos Quentin, Yonder Alonso singled into left-center field. Gyorko walked, loading the bases. Amarista grounded towards the shortstop, but was able to bring Quentin home, tying the game at 1-1. Cameron Maybin was up next, but he grounded into a double play, ending the inning.
The Rockies started to pull away in the fifth. Dexter Fowler drew a leadoff walk and Rutledge reached first after Everth Cabrera committed an error. Gonzalez singled to right and brought Fowler home. Tulowitzki followed that with a single of his own, scoring Rutledge, but was thrown out at second while attempting to advance on the play. Cuddyer was next to the plate, and he also singled to right, as Gonzalez reached home.
Gyorko got his first RBI of the night in the sixth on a grounder, plating Quentin, who hit a leadoff double.
After Tulowitzki was walked with one out in the seventh, Cuddyer homered to right, giving the Rockies a 6-2 lead.
Gyorko hit a two-out RBI double in the eighth, bringing Chris Denorfia home.
Betancourt pitched for the Rockies in the ninth. He allowed a two-out single by Mark Kotsay, who reached second due to a defensive interference, but got Cabrera to ground out to shortstop to end the game.
The Padres were 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position, while the Rockies were 4-for-9 ... Rutledge had a stolen base ... Jon Garland had not pitched in the majors since June 1, 2011 ... Colorado has won the first two games of this three-game series.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
Apr 6 11:06 PM
- Jedd Gyorko doubled to right scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. Runner on second and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 6 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 6 10:47 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. Todd Helton due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 6 10:35 PM
- Jedd Gyorko grounded out short to first scored Carlos Quentin with two outs. None on and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 6 10:12 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 6 10:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to right scored Josh Rutledge with one out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Tulowitzki out at 2nd on the throw, right fielder to shortstop. Runner on third with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 6 10:04 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to center scored Dexter Fowler with none out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 6 9:57 PM
- Alexi Amarista grounded into a fielder's choice to short scored Carlos Quentin with one out. Jedd Gyorko is out at second. Yonder Alonso advances to third. Runners on first and third and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 6 9:25 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to right scored Josh Rutledge with two outs. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 6 8:35 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 6 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22