Gonzalez carries Dodgers in sweep over PiratesApr 8, 2013 - 3:06 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez went 3-for-4 with four RBI and the Dodgers finished off a three-game sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates with a 6-2 victory on Sunday.
Justin Sellers added a solo home run and Matt Kemp contributed a sacrifice fly for Los Angeles, which saw starter Hyun-Jin Ryu (1-1) pick the first win of his career.
The South Korean native struck out six and surrendered just two runs on three hits and two walks over 6 1/3 innings of work.
The Pirates, who were shutout in the first two games of the set, managed only four hits. In his season debut, Jeff Locke (0-1) was tagged for four runs on eight hits over six frames.
"We've got work to do on offense," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "We've got to find a way to connect the dots for our offensive game better than we did here."
Andrew McCutchen hit Pittsburgh's first home run of the season, a two-run shot in the first inning.
The Pirates had two hits in the opening frame, but had just two more the rest of the way.
Gonzalez's two-run single quickly knotted the score at 2-2 in the bottom half of the first. Matt Kemp doubled the at-bat prior and scored on the play, then put the Dodgers in front in the third when his sacrifice fly plated Carl Crawford.
Crawford doubled before scoring the go-ahead run and he got on base again in the fifth with a lead off single. Later in the inning, he came around to score on Gonzalez's base hit to left to put the Dodgers ahead 4-2.
Sellers opened with the seventh frame with a solo shot, and after Nick Punto and Kemp walked, Gonzalez delivered his fourth RBI on a single to right field to account for the final margin.
"He's one of the best first baseman in baseball," said Kemp of Gonzalez. "We're happy to have him on the team, a gold-glove first baseman that can hit really well."
The Dodgers have won 13 of the last 14 games against the Pirates ... Los Angeles was 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... The Pirates will head to Arizona for a three-game set starting Monday, while the Dodgers will travel to San Diego.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
LOS ANGELES: 6
Apr 7 7:07 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right, scoring Nick Punto with two outs. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jerry Hairston due up.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 7 6:33 PM
- Justin Sellers lead-off Home Run (1) to center. A.J. Ellis due up.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 7 6:21 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left center, scoring Carl Crawford with two outs. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez out at second, left to second to end the inning.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 4 End 5Apr 7 5:50 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to right, scoring Carl Crawford with two outs. None on and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 7 5:11 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center, scoring Nick Punto and Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first and Jerry Hairston due up.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 7 4:34 PM
- Andrew McCutchen one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Starling Marte. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 7 4:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 4:10 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21