Phillips, Bruce help Reds slip past NatsApr 7, 2013 - 9:12 PM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce each had an RBI single during a three-run sixth inning, and the Cincinnati Reds topped the Washington Nationals, 6-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Bruce knocked in three runs and Derrick Robinson started the big sixth frame with a pinch-hit single and scored the go-ahead run.
Robinson was hitting for Johnny Cueto (1-0), who gave up seven hits and three runs over six frames. He walked three and had six strikeouts. Aroldis Chapman worked around a one-out double from Kurt Suzuki in the ninth inning to get his second save.
Suzuki belted a three-run homer in the second inning, but the Nationals failed to build on their 7-6 win in 11 innings from Saturday.
Stephen Strasburg (1-1) surrendered nine hits and six runs over 5 1/3 frames. He walked four and had five strikeouts, just six days after throwing seven shutout frames against the Marlins.
"Both sides were scoring early at will. Neither one was sharp. I'm just glad we won the series," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Robinson, who was promoted from the minors to replaced the injured Ryan Ludwick on the roster, singled to left field for his first big league hit leading off the sixth. Shin-Soo Choo then singled up the middle on a hit-and- run situation to put runners at the corners.
Xavier Paul then hit a ball to second base, but Danny Espinosa's throw home was wide and Robinson slid home safely.
Following a groundout, Phillips singled to left field to drive in Choo. That ended Strasburg's day on the mound.
"It's about making your pitches. He didn't make as good pitches as he did the first or second inning. It was a tough one," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
Ryan Mattheus came in from the bullpen, but Bruce legged out an infield hit to deep short to drive in the inning's third run.
The Nationals were retired in order in the seventh and eighth innings, and Denard Span fanned on a 101 mph fastball to the end game.
Bruce doubled home a pair in the first inning and Phillips scored on Todd Frazier's groundout.
Suzuki's blast in the second to left tied the game.
Strasburg threw 114 pitches, 73 for strikes ... Strasburg's final win before missing more than a season due to "Tommy John" surgery came at Great American Ball Park on July 21, 2010. He is 4-1 in eight career starts against the NL Central ... The Nationals were 1-for-8 with men in scoring position, while the Reds were 4-for-16 and left 13 runners on base.
- WASHINGTON: 3
Apr 7 4:19 PM
- Jay Bruce single to short scored Xavier Paul with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Frazier due up.
Nationals 3, Reds 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 7 3:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to left scoring Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Xavier Paul advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Nationals 3, Reds 5 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 7 3:22 PM
- Xavier Paul grounded into a fielder's choice scored Derrick Robinson with none out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joey Votto due up.
Nationals 3, Reds 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 7 3:17 PM
- Kurt Suzuki one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa. Stephen Strasburg due up.
Nationals 3, Reds 3 Top 2, 1 OutApr 7 1:37 PM
- Todd Frazier grounded out second to first scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Zack Cozart due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 7 1:29 PM
- Jay Bruce double to left center scored Xavier Paul and Joey Votto. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Todd Frazier due up.
Nationals 0, Reds 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 7 1:27 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 1:12 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21