Rockies crush Padres for fifth straight winApr 8, 2013 - 2:36 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jhoulys Chacin pitched 6 2/3 innings of one-run ball, as the Colorado Rockies defeated the San Diego Padres, 9-1, on Sunday.
Chacin (1-0) had a near-repeat performance of Monday's season opener, when he also allowed one run over the 6 2/3 innings against the Brewers but earned a no-decision. He allowed six hits against the Padres on 99 pitches and earned his first win of the season.
"Another great outing by Jhoulys," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss. "He pitched well enough to get a win in Milwaukee ... It was nice to see him get a W today. But our starting pitching has been tremendous."
Wilin Rosario hit a three-run home run while Dexter Fowler had a two-run homer, his fourth of the season. Jonathan Herrera went 3-for-4 and had two RBI for the Rockies, who have won five straight since losing their season opener.
Chris Denorfia drove in the lone run for the Padres who saw starter Edinson Volquez (0-2) give up four runs on nine hits over six innings.
"Concerned about how we're playing," said Padres manager Bud Black. "We're not pitching well, we're not hitting, that's what we're concerned about. The record in the long run will take care of itself if we start playing better baseball."
Eric Young Jr. hit a leadoff double in the first. Fowler was up next and hit a home run after Volquez threw a wild pitch. Carlos Gonzalez followed with a double to deep right. Three batters later, Reid Brignac doubled, plating Gonzalez.
The Padres got on the board in the fourth when Denorfia hit a two-out double, bringing Jedd Gyorko home.
In the sixth, Jordan Pacheco hit a leadoff single. He advanced to third after a sacrifice by Brignac and a ground out by Chris Nelson. Herrera singled to left and Pacheco reached home, giving the Rockies a 4-1 lead.
Rosario hit his three-run shot in the seventh. Fowler hit a one-out double and Gonzalez walked, setting up the homer.
Herrera hit a triple in the eighth, scoring Nelson, who had hit a leadoff single. Yorvit Torrealba followed that with a single, easily plating Herrera.
Wilton Lopez pitched a scoreless ninth for the Rockies to secure the win.
Fowler had a stolen base ... Herrera hit a triple ... Colorado recorded 15 hits ... The Rockies start the season 5-1 for the first time since 1995 ... Colorado last swept three at home against San Diego from April 18-20, 2003 ... The Rockies next play the Padres on April 12-14, in San Diego.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Apr 7 7:04 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yorvit Torrealba single to left scored Jonathan Herrera with none out. Runner on first and Eric Young due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 7 6:48 PM
- Jonathan Herrera triple to right scored Chris Nelson with none out. Runner on third and Edgmer Escalona due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 7 6:47 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 7 6:31 PM
- Jonathan Herrera single to left scored Jordan Pacheco with two out. Runner on first and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 7 6:03 PM
- Chris Denorfia double to left scored Jedd Gyorko with two out. Runner on second and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 5:18 PM
- Reid Brignac double to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 7 4:33 PM
- Dexter Fowler none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Eric Young. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 7 4:24 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22