Braun returns, helps Brewers down CubsApr 9, 2013 - 12:42 AM
The Cubs plated a pair of runs in the ninth on singles from Nate Schierholtz and Luis Valbuena, but Jim Henderson locked down the save for Milwaukee when he got Starlin Castro to fly out to the warning track with the bases full.
Braun had missed the Diamondbacks series with spasms in his neck, but had two doubles and an RBI on Monday to help the Brewers snap an early five-game losing streak and notch their first win since Opening Day.
"I thought we played really well today," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I know things got shaky at the end, but I thought we played a really good game."
Norichika Aoki went 3-for-4 with two walks, Maldonado had three hits and starter Marco Estrada (1-0) tossed seven innings of two-run ball, while also producing an RBI double at the plate. He struck out six and gave up five hits.
Castro had tripled and doubled earlier in the game. Cubs starter Edwin Jackson (0-2) was knocked around early but lasted six innings, yielding five runs on eight hits with five walks and six strikeouts. Welington Castillo had a two- run homer in the setback.
"That's not really anything that I make an excuse about," Jackson said of dealing with the wind. "The weather conditions are the same for both teams. Everybody has to go out and pitch and play in the same conditions."
It looked like the Brewers were going to come up empty in the first after Aoki was caught in a run down between third and home, but Milwaukee rallied and plated four runs with two outs.
They loaded the bases, and Alex Gonzalez drew a walk to push a run across. Maldonado then crushed a first pitch fastball into right field to clear the bags and put Milwaukee ahead 4-0.
Braun singled his first at-bat and followed with a double in the second inning. His drive off the center field wall plated Aoki, who had doubled to start the frame, and the Brewers pushed their lead to 5-0.
The Cubs got two runs back on Castillo's homer in the bottom of the second, but stranded runners in the third, fourth and sixth innings. Milwaukee then restored its five-run advantage in the seventh by tacking on a pair.
After Yuniesky Betancourt's sacrifice fly produced a run, Estrada helped his own cause by driving a double into the gap in right center. Gonzalez, who singled earlier in the inning, came around to score and the Brewers took a 7-2 lead.
Aoki has nine hits in his last 13 at-bats ... Milwaukee shortstop Jean Segura missed the contest with a bruised quadriceps ... The Cubs were 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Chicago scored its two runs in the ninth off Milwaukee reliever Brandon Kintzler ... The teams will continue their three- game set on Tuesday, with Chicago sending Travis Wood to the mound to face Milwaukee's Wily Peralta.
- MILWAUKEE: 7
Apr 8 5:51 PM
- Luis Valbuena single to left scored Nate Schierholtz with none out. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 8 5:35 PM
- Nate Schierholtz single to left scored Alfonso Soriano with none out. Runner on first and Welington Castillo due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 8 5:28 PM
- Marco Estrada double to right scored Alex Gonzalez with two outs. On the play, Martin Maldonado advances to third. Runners on second and third and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 7, Cubs 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 8 4:38 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt sacrifice fly out to left scored Jonathan Lucroy with two outs. Runners on first and second and and Marco Estrada due up.
Brewers 6, Cubs 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 8 4:36 PM
- Welington Castillo one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Alfonso Soriano. Luis Valbuena due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 8 3:13 PM
- Ryan Braun double to right center scored Norichika Aoki with one out. Runner on second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 8 3:00 PM
- Martin Maldonado double to right scored Rickie Weeks, Jonathan Lucroy and Alex Gonzalez with two outs. Runner on second and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 4, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 8 2:44 PM
- Alex Gonzalez walked Ryan Braun scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 8 2:43 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 2:27 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21