Pirates beat Diamondbacks to stop skidApr 9, 2013 - 6:29 AM
Starling Marte had two hits, including a triple and scored two runs for the Pirates, who ended a four-game skid.
Starter Wandy Rodriguez left the game due to tightness in his left hamstring after just 2 1/3 innings. He allowed two runs -- one earned -- on two hits. He was replaced by Jeanmar Gomez (1-0), who gave up one run on four hits over 1 2/3 innings in relief to earn the victory.
Paul Goldschmidt had an RBI double and Alfredo Marte and Wil Nieves each drove in one run in the setback. Right-handed starter Trevor Cahill (0-2) gave up four runs on four hits over five innings. He also struck out seven batters and walked three.
"Tonight I just didn't feel like I had it," Cahill said. "It was kind of a battle."
In the fifth inning, Starling Marte lined a shot down the left-field line for a triple with one out. After Neil Walker was hit by a pitch, McCutchen broke a 3-3 tie with a sacrifice fly to right field which easily plated the speedy Marte.
Jones added some insurance in the eighth with a solo shot to right to make it 5-3.
Pittsburgh was dealt a blow in the third inning as Rodriguez left the game with a hamstring injury. The lefty appeared to suffer from cramp-like symptoms. After stretching and meeting with trainers, he walked off the field on his own power. The team announced via Twitter that he will be re- evaluated on Tuesday.
"The next pitch I threw was a breaking ball and I felt it," Rodriguez recalled. "I told my trainer and the manager that I want to go out because I wanted to protect my next start."
Gomez took over in relief, but gave up a single and walked a batter to load the bases with one out.
Goldschmidt hit a deep sacrifice fly to left driving in one run then Alfredo Marte singled up the middle for his first major league hit, which also plated a run to tie the game at 3-3.
With two down in the second, Nieves singled to center scoring Goldschmidt, who doubled to lead off the frame, to make it a 3-1 contest.
The visitors struck early in the first inning as McCutchen plated Starling Marte with a double to left to make it 1-0. McCutchen moved to third on a groundout before Russell Martin walked, then stole second. Pedro Alvarez drew a walk and Snider followed with a liner through the right side to score McCutchen and Martin to make it 3-0.
Arizona had won four straight and was coming off a sweep of Milwaukee. The Diamondbacks last started 6-1 in 2000, which was also the best seven-game start in franchise history ... In his debut versus the Chicago Cubs last Wednesday, Pittsburgh's only previous victory, Rodriguez tossed 6 2/3 shutout innings and allowed just two hits ... In Game 2 of the series on Tuesday, the Pirates send James McDonald (0-1) to the hill versus Arizona's Brandon McCarthy (0-0).
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Apr 9 12:48 AM
- Garrett Jones one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 3 Top 8, 1 OutApr 9 12:16 AM
- Andrew McCutchen sacrifice fly out to right scored Starling Marte with two outs. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 4, Diamondbacks 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 8 11:30 PM
- Alfredo Marte singled to center scored Martin Prado with two outs. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pollock due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 8 10:59 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt sacrifice fly out to left scored Gerardo Parra with two outs. Runners on first and second and Alfredo Marte due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 8 10:55 PM
- Wil Nieves singled to center scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. Runner on first and Cliff Pennington due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 8 10:21 PM
- Travis Snider singled to center scored Andrew McCutchen and Russell Martin with two outs. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 8 9:54 PM
- Andrew McCutchen doubled to left scored Starling Marte with one out. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 8 9:47 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 9:41 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21