Cubs score three in the eighth to beat the BrewersApr 10, 2013 - 6:09 AM
David DeJesus went 3-for-5, scored twice and his two-run single gave the Cubs a three-run cushion. Newly anointed closer Kyuji Fujikawa then worked out of trouble in the ninth to notch his second save.
Anthony Rizzo knocked in a pair of runs and Cubs starter Travis Wood settled in to throw 6 1/3 innings of three-run ball on six hits with five strikeouts.
Carlos Marmol (1-1), who was removed from his role as closer, pitched a scoreless eighth to earn the win.
Chicago manager Dale Sveum is hoping the move will help his confidence.
"We're just getting him into more comfortable situations, where you don't have to deal with the stress of those last three outs," said Sveum.
After a miserable first outing, Wily Peralta bounced back with a solid performance, but John Axford (0-2) was touched for three runs on two walks and a hit in the eighth. Peralta surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on six hits with five strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings of work.
Ryan Braun and Jean Segura both went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Brewers, who had snapped a five-game losing streak with a 7-4 win on Monday against the Cubs.
The Brewers had a 3-0 lead after four innings, but the Cubs chipped away and jumped ahead in the eighth when they loaded the bases. Hairston delivered a sac fly to center, and Nate Schierholtz just beat the tag at the plate.
DeJesus then provided a two-run single on a line drive to right.
"Its always tough to pitch when you're behind," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "Things just aren't working out."
Chicago chased Peralta in the seventh after Starlin Castro produced a run with a groundout. Miguel Gonzalez replaced him on the mound and immediately gave up the lead on Rizzo's RBI double. Rizzo had driven in a run in the fifth as well, via groundout.
Wood got out of a jam in the first, but the Brewers produced three runs against him in the second.
Milwaukee had three straight hits to start the inning, with Segura contributing an RBI double and later scoring on a fielder's choice throwing error on shortstop Castro. Braun then provided a run-scoring single to give the Brewers a 3-0 lead.
Milwaukee was 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and is now 8-for-54 through its first eight games ... The Cubs left eight men on base ... The team's will wrap up the three-game set on Wednesday. Milwaukee will send Kyle Lohse to the hill to counter Chicago's Scott Feldman.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Apr 9 11:09 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scoring Luis Valbuena and Alberto Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 9 10:50 PM
- Pinch-hitter Scott Hairston's sacrifice fly to center scored Nate Schierholtz. On the play, Dioner Navarro advances to second and Luis Valbuena advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 9 10:47 PM
- Anthony Rizzo doubled to right scoring David DeJesus. Runner on second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 9 10:21 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded out short to first scored Steve Clevenger. Runner on second with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 9 10:18 PM
- Anthony Rizzo's groundout from second to first scored David DeJesus. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 9 9:42 PM
- Ryan Braun's infield single to short scored Yuniesky Betancourt. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to second and Norichika Aoki advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 9 8:41 PM
- Norichika Aoki reached first on a fielder's choice to short. On the play, Starlin Castro's throwing error scred Jean Segura. Runners on first and third with one out as Yuneskey Betancourt advanced and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 9 8:38 PM
- Jean Segura doubled to left scoring Carlos Gomez. Runner on second with none out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 9 8:28 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 8:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21