Pirates use 5-run fourth inning to best D'BacksApr 10, 2013 - 5:41 AM
Garrett Jones went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI for the Pirates, who have won the first two games of this three-game series after a 1-5 start to the season.
"We've got some guys that can hit," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "We've been able to show that the last couple of nights."
James McDonald (1-1) overcame a rough first inning to earn the win. He was charged with four runs on four hits and four walks over five frames.
Brandon McCarthy (0-1) also labored in his outing, surrendering six runs -- four earned -- on 10 hits in 6 2/3 frames for Arizona, which went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
Miguel Montero knocked in three runs while Jason Kubel added a two-run homer, though the Diamondbacks managed just six hits.
Jones' RBI single off the glove of second baseman Aaron Hill staked Pittsburgh to a 1-0 lead before Arizona put up a four-spot in the bottom half of the first.
Montero doubled deep to left to bring in Gerardo Parra and Aaron Hill, who both reached on walks, and Kubel added an opposite-field blast over the left- field wall for a 4-1 cushion.
Pittsburgh responded in the fourth, with Marte providing the first blow with a bases-loaded double into the right-field corner to knock in a pair. Walker, like Marte, was down 0-2 in the count when he singled up the middle to plate another two runs, then scored on Jones' two-out base hit.
"We weren't changing things up enough," said McCarthy of his pitch selection. "I have to be smart right there and mix things up more."
Andrew McCutchen went just 1-for-5 at the plate for the Pirates, but the center fielder made a running, over-the-head catch to rob Montero of an extra- base hit with the bases full in the seventh. The deep fly ball scored Alfredo Marte to cut Arizona's deficit to 6-5, but Jared Hughes was able to strand two runners by getting Paul Goldschmidt on a flyout to right.
Jason Grilli survived a two-out single in the ninth to close out his third save of the season.
The Pirates scored eight runs over their first two series and have 11 in the first two games of this set ... Arizona had a four-game winning streak stopped in the series opener ... Pittsburgh goes for the sweep Wednesday with Jonathan Sanchez on the hill opposite fellow lefty Wade Miley.
- PITTSBURGH: 6
Apr 10 12:44 AM
- Miguel Montero sacrifice fly to center scored Alfredo Marte with two out. Runners on first and second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Pirates 6, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 10 12:08 AM
- Garrett Jones single to right scored Neil Walker with two out. Runner on first and Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 6, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 9 11:02 PM
- Neil Walker single to center scored James McDonald and Starling Marte with one out. Runner on first and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 9 10:57 PM
- Starling Marte double to right scored Pedro Alvarez and Travis Snider with one out. On the play, James McDonald advances to third. Runners on second and third and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 9 10:55 PM
- Jason Kubel two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Miguel Montero. Eric Chavez due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 9 10:07 PM
- Miguel Montero double to center scored Gerardo Parra and Aaron Hill with one out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 10:04 PM
- Garrett Jones infield single to short, deflected by second scored Starling Marte with two out. Runner on first and Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 9:51 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 9:41 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21